Should I be scared to upgrade to Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 2A Batterie, Oct 22, 2005.

  1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

    2A Batterie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2004
    Location:
    Out of a Suitcase, USA
    #1
    I've been out of the Mac loop for a few months, so forgive me if this is slightly outdated/retarded. I want to upgrade to 10.4, but I'm a little afraid something could go wrong. My main concern is that I don't have my hard drives backed up... should I wait to back up my hard drives? Has anyone had any sort of major problems upgrading to 10.4?
     
  2. gekko513 macrumors 603

    gekko513

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2003
    #2
    You should always back up your important stuff whether you're about to do an upgrade or not.
     
  3. risc macrumors 68030

    risc

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #3
    I upgraded 1 machine to Tiger and did 2 fresh installs on the day of release, all 3 machines are still chugging along nicely. I backed up all 3 machines of course, and I suggest you do too.
     
  4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

    miloblithe

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #4
    No problems here. Also, with 10.4.3 coming out soon(ish... one assumes), Tiger should have most of the little bugs worked out.

    If you don't have somewhere to back up your hard drives, you could at least put the important stuff on CDs or DVDs.
     
  5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #5
    You need to inventory your programs FIRST to see what breaks and needs to be updated for Tiger. ProTools for sure needs an upgrade to work.

    OTOH: if it ain't broke.... don't mess wid it. Especially on a music production machine.
     
  6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

    IJ Reilly

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    Location:
    Palookaville
    #6
    Three upgrades here, no problems, but then I waited for 10.4.2. If you decide to go through with it, upgrade, repair permissions, then run software update. Backing up beforehand can't hurt.
     
  7. mcs37 macrumors regular

    mcs37

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #7
    What's the best way to upgrade other than copying the entire / folder over to another system? Since I'm the only one who uses this machine, I figured copying /Users/myaccount to another box would be sufficient for my music, documents, etc.

    I've never upgraded myself so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like. I imagine you just put the DVD in the drive and reboot, and you then let Apple take care of the rest?
     
  8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

    IJ Reilly

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    Location:
    Palookaville
    #8
    It depends on who you ask. ;)

    If you decide to back up first, how much you back up will depend on the size of drive you've got for the purpose. If it's large enough for a full backup, download Carbon Copy Cloner, and go for it (the system files can't be drag-copied in the Finder). Takes a long time, though. Otherwise, just copy over your user directory, which is something you should do regularly anyway. Performing a full backup just for an OS upgrade is an overly paranoid precaution, IMO. I know not everybody agrees with me on this.

    Otherwise, insert the Tiger DVD and upgrade the way Apple intended you to upgrade.
     
  9. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

    2A Batterie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2004
    Location:
    Out of a Suitcase, USA
    #9
    Thanks for the input. It may take a while, but I'm going to wait and save up to buy a 500gb external drive to back up all of my stuff. Better to wait and be safe than to upgrade now and potentially cause heartbreak.
     

Share This Page