Should I be using a 3rd party font manager.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dogbone, Mar 28, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I don't know if this problem is in FontBook or what.

I keep turning off my fonts and they keep turning themselves back on.

I cannot find any rhyme or reason. I started by turning all fonts off. Then I'd open up photoshop and a whole bunch of 'p' fonts would be on. I eventually traced it to an AdobeFnt07.lst file. In fact there were about six of these scattered in various place. I deleted them all and Photoshop remade them without the extra fonts. I thought that was solved then after working for a while I see that another bunch of fonts have been turned on. This time all the p fonts again. And I only had Illustrator open.

So again I turn them all off. Start up Illy and everything is fine. Start up Photoshop and everything is fine. Then I have a look in text edit at the fonts and I find that all the p fonts are listed, but they don't work. I check with FontBook and they are still off. I'm wondering what it is about the p fonts.

Any way all the fonts in FontBook were still off. Then after opening Illy again I find that a whole bunch of fonts are back on. This time the T U and V fonts, (not every one but most), sure enough I check in FontBook and they are back on again.

This is really driving me crazy. What is causing this mad behaviour.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Lucida and Geneva are system fonts. I don't believe that they can be turned off. Certainly, you should not disable them even if you can.

3. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Perhaps my post isn't clear enough. What is happening is that whole swathes of Font's keep turning themselves on. Not system fonts. I shouldn't have even mentioned Lucida and Geneva.

And I can't understand why. I can't even repeat it. Sometimes opening Illustrator makes a bunch of fonts turn on sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes all th 'P' fonts turn on at other times it's the T and V fonts.