Should I be worried about my refurb eMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by titaniumducky, Mar 13, 2004.

1. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

OK, I switched in June (love my PowerBook) so we're getting an eMac for family use. To save money we went refurb ($150 less for same config). What I wanted (1GHz ComboDrive) appeared and disappeared, and today I ordered it and it should be here by about Wednesday. I know I get a full warranty and Apple's refurbs are pretty good, and I'm not really scared.

However, my question is: "Should I be worried that these are appearing for sale as refurbs at all?" Why would a computer become a refurb; doesn't Apple usually just replace a broken part? Can someone explain this to me, please? I realize some will appear, but these are available about 50% of the time that I check. Someone seems to be buying them, but more appear :eek:

I don't plan to cancel my order, especially since these seem to be the same revision as any new eMac (which don't really have problems right now). Thanks for any help quenching my curiosity.

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

if a machine is DOA, apple simply replaces it, rather than servicing it. That DOA machine is then reconditioned and sold as a refurb.

3. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

some refurbs are also just returns
    all refubs have the same warranty and you can get 3yr warranty on them too so you should be fine buying a refurb

4. titaniumducky thread starter macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Thanks guys. You've cleared up my confusion.

5. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

Just to add, I bought a refurb G4 Powermac last June and haven't had a problem with it since. I would buy a refurb again, its definately worth it.

6. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i've also bought a refurb iMac last september. i've noticed it's a bit loud, but actually quiet rooms freak me out...

reality

7. titaniumducky thread starter macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

It's great to hear that your refurbs caused no problems, realityisterror and pepeleuepe. :D

8. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I often wonder if the "new" eMac I bought a few months back is really a refurb Apple slipped me...hmm...

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I also ordered one of these refurbed eMacs; it should arrive tomorrow. I've also ordered a 512 meg RAM chip to boost RAM to 640 meg. I mainly bought it for my son--have to get him Mac acclimated from an early age! And I'm not worried about it being a refurb--great way to save $150! Besides, it is still covered by the regular one year warranty, and Applecare can be purchased if there is any problem within the year.

Funny thing is that the eMac will be FAR faster than my Mac--I have a Pismo G3/400 laptop. So I might have to play on it some as well....

Best,

Bob