Should I be worried, Ibook noises

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by operastarlet, Jan 22, 2005.

1. operastarlet macrumors member

Ok, so My ibook was virtually SILENT unless I had a cd in, for nearly a year, Now it makes this kind of whirring soft clicking sound, seems to be coming from the front left side of the ibook. Sometimes it is constant,sometimes it goes for about half an hour, shuts off for a bit and then goes back to it. Should I be worried about this? I know for a fact that it NEVER made this sound before.
    I don't know when my warranty expires, but I think it is pretty soon, should I be looking into sending it back?

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

thats your hard drive crapping out. back up quickly! and look into getting it sent in assuming the warranty hasn't expired.

3. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Install and run SMARTReporter just to be sure.

Find it here

4. operastarlet thread starter macrumors member

cannot download

I can't download it, it sends me to .macs homepage sorry page, telling me there is no site there.

Is there another place to get it from?

5. rogerw macrumors 6502

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

7. operastarlet thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks for the link. Now the S.M.A.R.T. reporter is not predicting a failure.

So now what?

I suppose it could be the fan, but wouldn't that be coming from the back end of the ibook. This sound seems to be coming from the front left.

8. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

If it's making stange noises SMART may not have detected the problems yet. Give Apple a call if you know your warranty may end soon.

Edited for stupidity.

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I have only heard one fan on the iBook and that is located on the left, front side. That is also where the HDD is located. :)

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

He said:

Thats okay we all make mistakes. :)

11. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Teaches me for posting at 7 am.

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

ROTF. ;) :)

workaholic. :)

13. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

My girlfriend had a sony Vaio before her Powerbook 12" and the harddrive was doing that as well. None of the software programs would report a failure but the computer started to get slower and slooooower and slllooooooower until she finally took it in for repair at Best Buy under the service plan. Best Buy kept trying to get out of it by saying no software detected a failure. She had to keep sending it in and then finally a technician opened up the computer and sure enough it was indeed a bad hard drive!

Bottom line here, if you are unsure and it is still covered then send it out to have it checked. It is better safe than sorry.

14. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Same thing is happeneing to me on my powerbook. I'm still under warrantee so i'm getting a new hard drive out in today.

15. operastarlet thread starter macrumors member

ok. So i called apple, I had to order applecare since my warranty expires in two days. and since they wanted to charge me 50 for a phone tech support, i just went ahead and got applecare. am going to send it in.

I probably need to get an external hard drive to backup my data on, any suggestions? I'm looking at Iomega rev 35gb 1394/firewire external drive, mainly because of cost though, i have a 60 gig drive and about 50 is used. I really don't want to spent much more than 100.

16. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

An external hard drive via USB 2.0 or Firewire. Or you could back it all up on dvd's.

17. operastarlet thread starter macrumors member

yeah i thought i put that up there...
    :)

I don't have a dvd drive so it would need to be an external harddrive or storage unit