Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rye9, Nov 11, 2005.

1. macrumors 65816

rye9

I am going to be getting a 12 in 1.33Ghz iBook soon. However, many people say that their letters wear off the iBooks. Is this something I should worry about? Can I get replacement keyboards anywhere if this happens? Has this happened to anyone. Also, I am not going to buy an external keyboard so please dont suggest that.

2. macrumors G3

Yes, replacement keyboards are available.

If the iBook is still under warranty (or AppleCare) if it happens, you could see if Apple will replace the keyboard under under the warranty.

3. macrumors regular

It is quite a common problem but Apple will send you a replacement if you push hard enough (it is a user serviceable part).

4. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. macrumors G4

Chundles

I have a previous rev 12" iBook and apart from a noticeable shine to the more common letters we use (vowels, RST, space etc.) the letters themselves are as dark and legible as the day I unwrapped it from it's box.

6. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This is just my opinion but the iBook G3 (Dual USB) had the best keyboard. The keyboard has the same layout but I prefer the translucent keys compared to the solid opaque ones on the G4.

7. macrumors 65816

whocares

After using my G3 12" iBook for three years, only part of the left shift and left command keys have disappeared. I wouldn't worry too much :)

8. macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

The letters are wearing off my nearly 3 year old Microsoft keyboard more than they do off a iBook keyboard by the sounds of it. Can't see it being a problem, especially if you use the said iSkin.