Should I Be Worried?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alexf, Jan 4, 2007.

1. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

I have a dual 2.0 G5 tower (Rev. C) which is over two years old and I have never had any problems with it (knock on wood).

The other night something very weird happened. I always put the computer to sleep before I go to bed, and this time was no exception. Yet when I woke up in the morning I heard a very loud sound coming from my office (which is next to my bedroom) and thought that a neighbor was using a leaf blower outside the window. To my astonishment, I opened the door to the office and discovered that the incredibly loud leaf blower-like sound was coming from my Mac. I guess this is how the thing sounds when all fans are revved up full speed, but in the two years of using it for professional graphic design I have never heard it operate at more than whisper quiet.

In any case, the machine was completely unresponsive, so I had to hold down the power button for a few seconds to turn it off. Afterwards it started up just fine and has been running smoothly since.

Should I be worried? I don't know how long the machine was going full blast, as I was in bed (could have been hours). Could this damage the computer? More importantly, could this be a sign of a serious underlying problem? Very strange that it would wake itself from sleep mode and just "snap"...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

As a rule, I usually let a one-off like this go. Make sure everything's backed up in case the worst happens, but you'll probably be fine. Maybe take note of the circumstances (changes in software/hardware and apps running) it happened in though. :)

3. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

OK, thanks for the input.

Do you have any ideas of what could have happened?

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

My guess is that the system hit a bug, and cycled the task repeatedly to try to get it done. Restarting would have made the task quit, so its unlikely any damage was done :)