Should I bother with a used Apple Studio CRT?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Threnody, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Threnody macrumors member

Threnody

I'm in the market for a second monitor to go along with my iBook. Of course, since I don't have DVI or a large budget, I'm considering bidding on a 17" Apple Studio Display CRT (think iMac without the computer). Anybody have tips on how reliable these things are?

Thanks

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

FYI, the 17" studio display is 1280x1024, while the 17" iMac is 1440x900, so it's about the same number of pixels, but the aspect ratio is quite different.

3. Threnody thread starter macrumors member

Threnody

Actually I was talking about the CRT iMac and the CRT displays :)

See here

4. Biker21098 macrumors member

Great CRT's

I know a few people have had problems with the old G3 style 17inchers, I own a graphite one and the G3 one (blue) both were great monitors, i recently upgraded or downgraded depending on how you look at it to two VP171b viewsonics. The new LCD's are sweat, but I do miss the high res of the CRT's. I used to run dual 1600x1200 displays. It was 60 Hertz, so kinda stressful on the eyes, but man was there screen space. Now the viewsonics are great, no scan lines, but they are only 1280x1024. Which is fine I adapted. Anyways, my two 17inch CRT's lasted fine, they still work fine. I'm trying to sell hem if you are interested. I'm in no rush to sell them, but I'd be happy to sell ya one or two. They are VGA 17in Studio Displays. with 1600x1200 at 60 Hertz, just to clarify, exactly like the picture you posted. They have worked great. i know my high school had a couple of the G3 (blue) kind fail. But I never had an issue.

5. Threnody thread starter macrumors member

Threnody

Check your private messages :rolleyes: