Should i buy a 23" ACD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ^squirrel^, Sep 19, 2006.

1. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a 23" ACD, but im a little worried that it will be refresh in the next 4 months as it appears that it's going out of date. I have considered a 24" Dell screen instead.

I do a fair bit of gaming and wondered if you could advise me what screen would be best for my needs? I also will watch a few movies and other than that it's just internet usage.

The price is only about £70 difference, so that's not a problem.

Thanks all for your attention.

Darren

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Do you need it?

If yes, buy it. If no, don't.

The Apple Cinema Displays have just been refreshed.

The Dell uses a PVA panel whereas the Apple uses a S-IPS panel which is vastly superior.

Don't let the specifications fool you. You can't directly compare a PVA panel to a S-IPS panel.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

More to the point, apparently you can't get the new, upgraded specification of 23" here.

4. wiz7dome macrumors regular

wiz7dome

I recently purchased a 23" ACD and LOVE IT!! Now I did have to go through 4 screens. The 1st had 1 stuck pixel, 2nd 2 pixels and backlight issues, 3rd no pixel problem but serious Ghosting problems, 4th......PERFECT.

Download the free app. called LCDTest and take it with you. The place where I bought mine had no problem with me opening up the screen I wanted and testing it myself (after another store lied to me about their test). That app will show any stuck pixels or backlight problems. It shouldn't be a problem but open and close some apps and look for and ghosting or "persistence".

5. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Wow thanks for the advice wiz7dome, I've never actually thought of doing that :)

6. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Thanks so far lads,

Well looks like i'll go for he ACD but i'm wondering if they'll release a new one early next year?

I guess no one really knows.

7. davepoint macrumors newbie

It is always the worry, I keep holding off and holding off ahghgh

8. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I just bought one today. I will post my account when I get it. I wanted to wait but I NEED it. My Mac Pro is sitting and I just sold my 12" PB.

I figured the next chance to update is Photokina, which is next week. If they drastically change it, i.e. new design I would return mine and get the new one.

Don't expect a 24" model, no one makes a 24" S-IPS panel right now. Apple would not step down to a PVA panel. So the only thing they could do for me is a redesign. Which I may or may not like, so we will see.

9. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Well all i'm hoping for is a built in iSight, better connectivity, height adjustment and the ability to rotate the screen. I'm happy with the design but i'm sure they'll tweak it.

10. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Personally it's overated. It's not that great like everyone claim it is. For a LCD that is worth over 1 thousand, I would've expected a lot better from it. Sometime you get older model that run into imperfections. There is a lot of batch out there still have older version. There was awhole bunch in the Apple Store where I bought mine that is older revision model that have issue. Mine have backlighting problem even with 2 returns. Now they asking for restocking fees. If you run into the latest model and one of the person who get a perfect one, it may be worth it.

11. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

I rather have a good PVA than a crappy S-IPS.

If you are lucky to find a good 23" ACD, then there is no comparison. But your chances of doing so seem very slim.

12. crashlock macrumors member

Hi people, My first MacRumour post :)

I will be buying a 20" ACD very soon, but I was wondering as I've heard the iSight could be updated soon and that the ACD is the only Apple screen without a built-in iSight camera that Apple currently sells. Could the ACD be updated soon with an iSight built in?
    Not only that but hearing today that "glossy" screens are now available to older Apple latops. Could this also push Apple to produce a new ACD with both a glossy screen and built-in camera?

All that adds up to should I wait?

As I'm selling my current PowerMac, I want it so that when i'm at home it turns my PowerBook G4 into a desktop with bluetooth keyboard and mouse. But then next year I can upgrade my PBG4 to a MacBook or MacBook Pro and continue using the screen to make my laptop into my desktop at home. After having two comps I can't see much point to having them, one makes more sense in my life :cool:

13. awhitaker macrumors newbie

Actually Dell has five S-IPS monitors. This info was taken from flatpanels.dk

Dell 3007WFP (*) (widescreen) has a 30 inch 14 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM300W01) panel.

Dell 2007FP (*) has a 20 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM201U04) eller et 8 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM201U1) panel.

Dell 2007WFP (*) (widescreen) has a 20 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM201W01 eller LM201WE2) panel.

Dell 2001FP (*) has a 20 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM201U04) panel.

Dell 2005FPW (*) (Widescreen) has a 20 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM201W01) panel.

14. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Don't think that Apple will update the ACD's anytime soon. They updated the specs a bit begin August. And now there still is so many old stock that even if you order a new one, you'll get one with the old specs. BTW, ACD's are Apple's Pro line, and in the Pro line there is no standard fun things, so I don't think we will see an iSight anytime soon in it.

15. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Macbook Pro has an iSight :rolleyes:

16. kjr39 macrumors 6502

It really doesn't make a lot of sense to me to offer panels in 20, 23, 24, & 30. If you think about it, you now have to carry inventory of the 24" panels to stock the iMac line. Why not drop the 23" (which has been problematic from the start) and offer a 24"?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple offer a new lineup of ACDs that's just 20, 24, & 30 soon.

17. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Won't happen. Nobody is making a S-IPS 24" panel. Apple isnt going to step down in quality.

18. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Well I got my ACD. I am impressed except for some god awful backlight bleeding.

I know it is only on black backgrounds, but it is very very annoying when watching a widescreen movie. The black bars are all washed out and distracting. This may be going back...

19. crashlock macrumors member

What? And in plain english backlight bleeding is what? :D

20. slabbius macrumors member

ACD Refresh? What? Didn't they just refresh them when the prices adjusted back in august?

21. *Bobcat* macrumors newbie

Here's my input on the matter.

Last week I got my 20" ACD with Part No. M9177LL/A. According to chipmunk, it was made in week 32 (August). This has led me to believe this is one of the new monitors. However, once I heard about the sticker on the box, I dug out my box to verify... Unfortunately the box has the distressing sticker stating a PowerMac G4 or G5.

I just think this entire business is so sketchy.:mad:

If these are indeed new monitors, one would think there should be a way to actually find out. Furthermore, what's up with the Apple reps not knowing anything of this product update.

I am following this thread with great interest.

22. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I didn't check my box, so I am not sure. My replacement is showing up tomorrow so I will let you know what I get.

I have heard some reports that the update happened some time ago, before they announced it.

I don't think you will notice the differenc anyhow. It is plenty bright, heck too bright. I have to turn mine down to about 50.

As long as it doesnt have any of the issues I have heard about I am not really worried about it.

23. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i would just buy now if you want one, displays are only ever updated incrimentally with small updates, brightness etc, most people probably wouldnt notice any difference in most displays. as for isight, i highly doubt it as many places dont allow for webcams in offices etc so apple would be shooting themselves in the foot their! your choice however if you want to wait and see for a frame redesign, which i also doubt as it matches the imac, which also isnt updated (stand) and isnt due to be. my 2 cents (or pence as im british lol)

24. edcrosay macrumors member

edcrosay

I bought a Dell 24" FPW2405 last year and couldn't be happier with it.
    I use a 23" ACD at work and besides the Dell logo and cheap looking plastic, mine is much better.
    Apple's are much more expensive, and don't have all the wonderful inputs that the Dells have.

25. crashlock macrumors member

The Dell LCD's look rubbish. I want an Apple CD because all my kit is Apple and they just look better than anything out there. The looks of it are worth paying extra. I only need 1 input and that's for my computer/PowerBook.:cool: