Should I buy a broken Nano and fix it?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mrat93, Mar 11, 2007.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

A kid in my school is offering me his 1g 4gb iPod Nano witha broken screen for $40. I have never replaced a screen or even opened an iPod before. I see screens sell for about $20 on eBay. Are they easy to replace or no? Should I do this or no?

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I'd say no. Then first gen nano aren't easy to take apart and have a bunch of little tiny breakables. Also you'll easily dent, bend, scratch something and it will drive you crazy. also you don't have a warranty any more.

Just save up a bit and get a new nano.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

No it is not worth the trouble to repair. just get a working one off of eBay or buy a new one.

4. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

time + $40 + $20+shipping + uncertainty... not worth it

5. copperhead macrumors member

thats pretty expensive because 1g nanos are realllly hard to replace the screens on. very easy to break.

6. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Done!

I paid $40 for the iPod Nano and $15 for the new screen. It is being charged as we speak. I never thought a 14-year-old like me could do this. The kid I bought it from is gonna be pissed!

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

So you're saying you fixed it already? How was it? Was it tough or not that bad? Tell us more!

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Wow - congrats! Looks like everyone was wrong about the hassle - sounds as though your purchase was very much worth it!

You gotta let us know what your friend says when you show him you fixed it! heh :p

9. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Forget that, start advertising. You could make a mint fixing people's pods at your school. If you focus on screen, HD and battery upgrades, you'd rake it in... :D

10. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

It was frustrating. When I was removing the logic board I wans't sure if I was tearing any important parts. The clips holding it in were hard to remove without worrying about slipping and breaking something. The tools that came with the new screen were dull, so I used a screwdriver which left a few deep scratches on the side. Nevertheless, my iPod family is complete... one generation short (Nano).