Should I buy a BTO from Apple Store or elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 2A Batterie, Jun 22, 2004.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

First post here (though I've watched the site for months)... many, many more to come.
    I'm buying my first Mac soon, and I want to start at the top. Basically, I'd like a d2.5 w/250 gb internal hard drive, bluetooth w/keyboard and mouse, built in ethernet (I believe you have to buy this with revb.) and about 4gb of ram. I've decided on getting the 1gb sticks so that in the future (when I recover some of the $ from my upcoming purchase) I can max out my g5 w/ 8gb of ram. My main question is, is the apple store the only place I can buy this configuration or could I go somewhere cheaper? I have the educator's discount, which should make the hardware purchase a no-brainer, but if I want all of that memory can I buy and have it installed somewhere else? Would this void my AppleCare and warranty? Could I buy all of these extras elsewhere for cheaper and have a certified apple technician install them? Thanks for the help!

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

installing RAM is easy. you can do it yourself after buying memory on your own - unless you use one of those promotions, buying memory from apple is expensive. you'll save money buying them elsewhere. it will not void your warranty.

BTO is available only from apple. with education discount, your best choice is go to apple store for education, for both BTO and discount reasons.

3. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

You can get BTO from resellers, and they usually can match edu pricing. Yeah, just buy 2 1gig sticks from apple then get the rest from crucial or whatever.

4. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

does installing memory myself void the apple warranty?

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Nope

6. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Pretty new to this but my answer is no. Apple gives you at least one open slot with all its machines, or so i believe, and since adding memory is so easy, and since everyone does it im sure you wont void your warrenty!

Enjoy your new Mac,

Mark.

7. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Thanks for the help! Does anyone have an opinion on the best place to purchase G5 spec'd RAM? I'm specifically looking for 1gb unstacked sticks. I'd be willing to pay more $ for more dependable and higher quality RAM, but not the insane prices at the Apple Store

8. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Although there are a number of alternatives that promise life time warranty (who isn't now a days to get business), the obvious choice has always been Crucial.com. Excellent customer service, no questions asked return policy (life time) on bad RAM, and very good prices to boot. Do a search for crucial coupon on this forum to find the additional 5% off code.

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

www.macsales.com is also worthy of note their ram is so cheap it works out that its cheaper for me to import it from them that to get some in the uk and it is of good quality and carries a lifetime warrenty

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As far as RAM is concerned - buy whereever you can get it cheapest, but be sure that it is appropriate for a G5. They're finicky about RAM. Any reputable dealer will be able to verify that your purchase will run in a G5.