Should I buy a clamshell iBook?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Cheese, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    OK, I know that there will be some flames all over this subject, but it is for my twelve year old daughter, who "thinks" that it will be cool to have a colorful mac under her arm at her junior geekfest type activities (which I encourage greatly!!). Let me say that at least she wants a Mac and not any peecee derivative compound of some strange form... Anyway... I am wondering if anyone is running OSX on an older Clamshell iBook and if there is any problem with getting one for her, or if I should get a newer version for her? I will probably hand the iMac DV400 down to her and get a new iMac or Power Mac for the business here instead, but I do want to consider her wishes...
    Again, for help I beg,
    but at least my dog won't hump your leg!!!
    Thanx..

2. vniow macrumors G4

I've got a Blueberry running OSX 10.2.5, its upgraded with 320MB RAM (the max although some people have stuck 512MB sticks in with no trouble) and a 40GB 5400rpm IBM Travelstar and its running great.

Fast it is not however, OSX can bog down to a halt if I'm doing anything more than basic multitasking, I booted back into OS9 one day to test out something with Photoshop and it was much faster for just about everything (although it doesn't have iTunes 4, hee hee) but OSX is tolerable, I wouldn't recommend one for anything besides basic word processing and a glorified jukebox if you want to run OSX on it, otherwise OS9 is your best bet on a machine that's so outdated like that if you want to do a little more...

I'm probably going to be selling it soon though, can't afford to keep it...

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

G3s all run OSX noticeably slower than the lowliest G4s do. It still runs okay; I have an iBook 500 dual USB and have been running it since day one.

4. garzy macrumors regular

i would not invest in a clamshell ibook if i were you
    i use one at work running os9 and it sucks
    they are probably being sold for way more than they are worth because its an apple product
    i would look for a pismo instead, or even buy a new ibook, they are an amazing deal right now for the 900mhz 12in with combo drive
    those clamshells are pretty big just so you know, not really easy to carry around

5. vniow macrumors G4

Even though they weigh about 7lbs or so, the pop-up handle is wonderful for carrying it around, I find it incredibly useful, much more than lugging the whole thing under my arm, just wish they designed the current ones where there was an elegant handle solution...

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i like my clamshell ibook, but i could not see myself running os x on it

the newer faster g3 ibooks at 800 and 900 mhz with the extra level 2 cache would be the slowest i would consider for os x

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the new "low end" ibook for $999 is a pretty great deal... 800 mhz G3, 32 vram, 30 gb HD, etc. Certainly that will run OS X very well. As others have said, the clamshells are probably kinda underpowered for X unless it's just word processing and the like...

8. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

The white iBook is a cute little computer too. I have a November 2002 800MHz model and it runs OS X great! And at $999 it won't be as cheap as a used iBook but it's still a darn good price.

9. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I love my iBook 800. Quartz Extreme is really a blessing for G3s.

I had an iBook 500 before that and it was much slower than this one. I wouldn't recommend running OS X on a clamshell, especially one of the older ones. Maybe the 466MHz.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

let's just assume for a second that a used clamshell, around 500 dollars or so (466 SE), is too good to pass up

whoever uses that machine with os x will feel just fine until they use a G4 powered computer with os x

my 300 ibook seemed considerably faster than my 185 mhz 040 mac clone desktop...and of course, i run os 9 on my ibook

but when i saw a 500 mhz imac running os 9, it made my 300 ibook seem like a toy

and i believe that there are some with much faster macs out there still on os 9 and they must be blazing along (like my friend's dual 500 G4 powermac on os 9)

in the end, it's all about perception

11. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

My mom has a 366MHz Blueberry iBook. (Firewire) I've maxed the RAM at 320MB (Though I hear a 512 module can go in with no problem)...

My mom had kept hearing about this "OSX thing" and just had to have it on her machine. We got the family pack... and the speed isn't too bad (once you get used to it) and you don't have a faster machine to compare it with. RAM Is A Good Thing.

(Note: my machine is an Indigo 350MHz iMac... no firewire, 384 MB RAM so you see my perspective here.)

Just my $0.02USD

12. iGav macrumors G3

Slow yes.... But probably perfect for kids that as a general rule treat stuff like sh*t....

And if it gets damaged then it's not as bad as losing the $ on a new machine...

Kids with laptops at school.... crazy! but cool!! ;) :p :D

13. Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheese

Thanks everyone for your input on this thread. In hopes that someone else may find help if faced with this dilema, I would encourage you to continue to give your valued input on this subject.

14. Moofman macrumors newbie

The only mac I own is the 466 Clamshell. It's the only mac I've ever had. I'm running OSX 10.2.5 with 192 megs of ram. And call me crazy...but I have no problems with it. Now, I am a poor starving high school student, and it took about 4 years to save up for this thing, but if's served me faithfully for exactly two years. As the other users mentioned, I may veiw this as fine because I have no real basis for comparison. My only real complaint is the screen resolution: 800 x 600...However, as a high school student, this things works fine for basic word processing (though now that I mention it, Word wasn't as snappy as TextEdit). I think that if your daughter wants a nice cute computer that will amaze her friends (and blow them away with the handle...man, so many of my friends were amazed by that one.) get a clamshell. Unless she's using like Maya to render huge files everyday, it should be adequate. I've even dabled into some 3D design using lightwave, and it works ok, but rendering's annoying. If you get one of the old ones, you save quite a bit of money, and you get to make toilet seat jokes. I mean, Come On! Cons are maybe slow, kinda heavy and and annoying to lug around (I'd say that in this context that's the biggest con) and bad screen resolution. But if you can find a good deal, you have my blessing. :)

15. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

what exactly will your daughter be doing on this cla,mshell. if she isn't doing basic stuff, than i don't think so.

16. Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheese

Bennetsaysargh, she will be doing fairly light stuff... AW6, email, some surfing within reason... perhaps saving very few photos... She really enjoys making slide shows using AW6 clips. Thank you Moofman... Do you know Cowdog? (a question from Gabby, my daughter)

17. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

im on a 400Mhz iMac and i even do a little iMovie-ing although it goes slowly, it is still good. what is the speed of it?

18. garzy macrumors regular

i think thats a rip off

19. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

lets hope übergeek doesn't see these dogcow and moof references.

20. vniow macrumors G4

Naw, its about average for those older clamshells, I could easily sell mine for at least $450 without too much trouble.

21. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

$500 for a clamshell iBook DOES sound like a rip-off. Half the price of a machine that's 20x faster? (800-900Mhz iBook)

In Japan they go for about $600, but that's because Mac hardware goes for a premium still ($1,000 for a Pismo, etc.)

Anyway, I use a 500Mhz iBook with Jaguar, and it's not that bad. I can still use about 3-4 programs on it without too much trouble. No Quartz Extreme makes a big difference though.

And the clamshell models will only do up to 800x600 screen resolution, if I'm not mistaken. That's kind of harsh. OS X takes up a lot of screen real estate.

How much for a clamshell these days? If you can find one for $100 or something it might be worth it.

22. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Yup, she'll make a great geek. (Though it's more properly dogcow)

23. Moofman macrumors newbie

Why should we fear ubergeek? What's wrong with Claris? On aim, I'm cowman0007, (some idiot has cowman007! What a nerd!). When I signed up here, I decided to make it more mac-y, with the moofman. I like cows, but claris is ok with me, despite her dogness.

24. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

we shouldn't fear her but she has dogcow as her 'tar and shes a fan of claris too. Also in passing its fun to call her dogcow she used to get mad it even caused the demise of one thread although i cna't rmember which.

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

ok, i admit that the ad i saw was perhaps sometime in 2001 or early 2002, so i assume it might be 350 or 399, or maybe 299 or something

i think the clamshell for one hundred won't happen on an ad in the back of macworld until sometime next year

but dollar for dollar, the 800 mhz ibook for 999 dollars is so hard to beat with the 32 mb video card and the large hard drive

ps - i do remeber seeing the bondi imac for 499 used and the next thing i know, the ad, months later, is selling it for under 300 dollars