Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Tough decision

You're having a hard time making the decision because the alternatives are so similar.

The G5 1.6 has a fast (but not the fastest) single processor.

The Dual G4 1.42 has slower processors, but they're still pretty fast, and you get two of them. Put them both together, and you have a slightly faster machine for any task which will use both processors.

See why it's so hard? And why they're priced so similarly? And why nobody can really give you that one fact to help you make the decision? Because they're basically the same.

Since they're so similar, you might as well just take the newer model, the G5. It'll probably have higher resale value down the road because in three years, everyone will have G5s and G4s will be like G3s now. (Even though a high end G4 will still have acceptable performance.)

Genie

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2003
heaven

Oh lord I'm trying not to be a shill for Apple but I am so so so so so so so so sos os os os os ososo
Happy with this G5!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm mixing my new CD on it and it is such a pleasure.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
your crashes

oh about your crashes... it could be...

1. need to reinstall the os
2. bad memory
3. bad hard drive
4. motherboard problem

if you've reinstalled the OS, try finding replacements for #2 and #3 if you can. Maybe you can borrow some DIMMs or an IDE drive from somewhere. But if it's #4, you're pretty much screwed. And if it's #2 or #3, you still have to ask yourself "do i want to put more money into my old machine?" Probably not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.