Should I buy a G5 Dual?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pedfre, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Pedfre macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2005
    I´m planning on buying a strong and fast machine to edit image/video on Final Cut.
    I´m new to Mac world, but I´m researching and it seems that the PowerMacs are amazing.
    Do you think a G5 Dual 2.0 or 2.3 GHz would be a good option (I´ll not afford a Quad yet)???
    Also, what about the DVD dual-layer burner on these G5? I heard they´re not that good for recording video...
    Thanks for any info or oppinion :)
  2. RatVega macrumors member

Oct 14, 2005
    Southern California
    Hi again, Pedfre!

Buy the fasted dual processor model you can afford!

The dual layer burner works just fine, it's the set top players that have a problem. Seems they like the replicated disks, but not "burned" dual layer.

A dual layer burner will also burn single layer DVDs just fine.
  3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    I'm with RatVega; for video editing the fastest machine you can afford is best, and the dualcore 2.3 should be a very solid machine once you add as much RAM as you can possibly afford (don't buy direct from Apple, though--a place like Crucial will get you good RAM for a lot less).

Unless you're editing very short projects you'll probably want to do yourself a favor and save some cash for an external SATA card and case(s) eventually, although I don't think any are yet compatible with the new G5's PCI-e slots so you'll be waiting a bit for cards to come out. If you need something in the interim there's always FW800 (wonder if the slow G5 FW800 bug is fixed on these new machines?)

I wouldn't worry about the internal burner; I'd stay away from dual layer discs unless you absolutely must have the additional length/quality they can give you, but I've had no issues with my own built-in Pioneer 106. Replacements can be had for under $100 anyway, so if you don't like it a new one isn't going to break the bank.
  4. vitorialatham macrumors newbie

Sep 29, 2005
  5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
  6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    i concur.

the performance boost will be sensational