Should I buy a Mac now or later?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by greenuns, Apr 17, 2003.

1. greenuns macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a G4 powerbook (laptops, they seem to be the best), then I hear rumours about G5 coming out. Also powerbook g4s have been around for awhile right?

Should I wait for the next cpu series or would it be "safe" to buy one now? (I'm only worried because they are soooooooo bloody expensive)

If I buy one now, I'm thinking about building it on my own :D

what'd you guys think?

cheers

2. greenuns thread starter macrumors newbie

3. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Why wait? Even IF we do get a "G5" this year, it will not be in a laptop for at least another year.

So I would buy now and sell on ebay when the time comes.

Unless Apple decides to do a "Shock and Awe" campaign with the 970.;)

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Re: Should I buy a Mac now or later?

You're joking right? (Sorry, I usually am able to detect sarcasm but just wanted to make sure this time)...

If you want the 17" or the 12", I don't think you should wait. But, as it says in the Macrumors Buyers' Guide, the 15" hasn't changed over to aluminum (meaning no Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, etc), so if that's what you're planning to buy, wait a while.

irmongoose

5. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

If you can wait, then do wait.
    If you need it now, then get it now.
    This is the only sage advice that I think works in this fast paced world.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it doesn't seem likely that apple will have a new powerbook since they updated that line not too long ago

there should be a lag for a new processor because they usually make it to the desktop and stay only there for many months...followed by a laptop with the latest chip

on the pc side, the pentium 4 laptops came out rather quickly after the pentium 4 desktops because many pc companies know the importance of laptops today

steve jobs called this the year of the laptop and if that is the case, then maybe we will have a next generation processor in an apple laptop before christmas...that would truly make this year the most memorable for apple in terms of laptops

7. greenuns thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comments. It's like I can wait but I do want a powerbook, but then again it's like this with the PCs, you buy a system then a week later a new one comes out. I guess powerbooks dont lose that much value even if it's second hand, so I might buy one.

I read some stuff about building your own Powerbook. You have to buy parts from Ebay and assemble them yourself I worked it out and I can knock off about 1500$ this way but since it';s an auction I have get lucky for the right price.

I dont know if I can post links here. so let me know if you want the link. It's an online store that sells Ti parts plus a manual on how to disassemble and assemble powerbooks.

If all this fails. I guess I can get one of those education loans from Apple.

thanks

8. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Dude, it's real simple. Just walk into a CompUSA and club a salesguy over the head. Grab a Mac and make a run for the door. If anyone gets in your way club them too.

9. Caddy macrumors member

I just bought the 12' Powerbook and I am extremely happy. Went from a 14.2 troublemaker Dell, so I thought the big screen would really be hard to part with. Not so. It's awesome, it is so elegant. Matches with my stainless steel kitchen (microwave), lightening system (2 lamps), etc, so it fits right in here! :D

I wouldn't wait. I could resell this baby right now for about the same I paid and then more (got an education discount).

10. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I don't know, the 12 and 17" are new, but they are both a bit extreme (big and small) and fit very special needs. Apple has not updated the 'standard' 15" in a while... and since this model used to be the flagship of all macs (made macs popular among a lot of PC users), I wouldn't be surprised to be...ehm...positively surprised later this year :D

11. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Honestly i would buy now.....sure if you wait they will get faster, thats a fact of life...but just because new one's come out doesnt mean yours gets slower. And one of the nicest thing about a mac is how well they hold their value. I just bought a 12 inch PB, when the 970 comes out i'll ditch my powermac, get a new one, and probley ride the 12 inch till it dies.