Should I buy a Mac? Which one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dwd3885, Aug 25, 2005.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I've been an avid pc user for years, I'm 21 now, in college. I have a pretty powerful PC. Here's the rig:

Antec SLK3000B
    Seasonic S12-430 PSU
    Chaintech VFN4 Ultra w/NB47J
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    evga GeForce 6600 GT w/VF700CU
    2gb Corsiar Value Select DDR 400 RAM
    Hauppage WinTV PVR 250
    Dell 2005 FPW

Now I almost made the switch this summer, but didn't and ended up building this pc. Now I was thinking of either selling this pc and buying some sort of PowerMac on ebay or just buying a Mac Mini brand new with edu discount at Apple. I am a Communication student who is getting a Digital Media Certificate. This means I am doing classes in video editing, sound, photo all the time. With an emphasis on audio mixing and recording. Is a Mac for me? I'd say I'd rather probably buy a more powerful mac, but don't know if it's in my budget unless I can sell this rig, which prolly won't happen. Off to class for the day, I'll check back here around 12 central time. Thanks for your advice

2. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

A mac mini wouldn't suit video editing or music production, so your best bet is for a powermac. Just go for what your budget can get you, but make sure you bump up the RAM.

::20ROGERSC::

3. lopresmb macrumors 6502

check here

of course you should buy a Mac, for what you are doing, it seems that a G5 processor would give you the best advantage.

check out some of the refurbished machines on the applestore page of call and find out how low they can get with edu discounts.

if you don't think you will need the upragdability of the powermac, go with the iMac, as its a pretty capable machine with a monitor, but I am assuming if you want a machine to keep pace with your old one, get a Dual Processor G5 PowerMac

4. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i'd get a refurb dual 1.8 GHz G5 and keep the pc, useing the G5 on a KMV switch, pc's sell for such a pittifull low amount of money thier really is no point in selling it.

6. macdon401 macrumors 6502

macdon401

Beware of eBay!

Hi, hope you make the switch,
    I am a Director, mainly commercials and TV series and if you are majoring in Communications with an eye to Audio production, it is in your best interests to go Mac, when I go to an audio mix, 90% of the time Mac hardware and software are the norm, same with editing, Avids have been around for at least 15 years now and are state of the art, a system called Lightworks came out a few years back and although a great design and interface was Window's based, it went the way of the TRex...too many complications and crashes!
    Video prodcuction being the exception, lots of coder types in the back rooms...LOL! But I hear that is changing!
    I am not saying Mac's are "everywhere" but whenever I see a PC running an edit I am involved in I always ask...why are you using that crap. amf the consistant answer I get back is always, I know I can't stand it ...I/m getting them to change to a Mac! So I hope this "real" world advice helps you a bit.
    Now about your budget, I suggest you go PowerMac or at least iMac but definitly G5, I use a iMac at home for rough stuff!
    Here is a link to Apple's refurb page, I think you should check it out, you get a warranty from Apple, not creepy dealers and scams from eBay!
    And the prices are good too!
    Good luck and once again I hope this helps you out!
    R

7. macdon401 macrumors 6502

macdon401

Sorry here's the site!
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...als&siteID=FVJulVQJDF0-BwJdVFLKcm9apLd*VuLHkQ

8. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I would tend to agree with this if it is possible with your budget. Get the fastest proc you can afford then upgrade stuff like ram later (you probably already know this if you built a system). If you are really strapped for cash and you just need raw power for video/audio, you might actually be better off with the PC :eek: since you will most likely lose money switching to a mac. However, if you can afford a mac, you will be better off.

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Your best reasonable solution is a Rev B 2.0 GHz G5
    dually refurb for $1649, a NEW In Box Rev B 2.0 still available at resellers for $1749-$1899 or the new 2.3 GHz model.

You're fine with the stock Nividia 5200 64 MB GPU,
    but I would go for at least 1 GB RAM.

10. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

if i don't sell my pc, i can always take a gig of ram from it and put it in the mac. I think this powermac refurb is a good idea. so it's better than ebay you say? I was looking at this::http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...Eh9vrm/0.0.0.11.1.0.6.7.3.5.1.1.5.1.5.1.1.5.0

It's a little expensive, but I might be able to swing it. Maybe. Hopefully ;-)

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

no, find one with pci-x slots, the extra ram slots will come in handy (remeber 8 slots are like four slots as you have to install in pairs) and those pci-x slots will have a use down the line that i promise you.

12. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Think about a iMac, especially if you can afford it without selling your current PC. Then you can keep both. Don't forget Apple offers student discounts.

lasuther

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

thats an idea, you could hook up the vga out to your display ona KMV switch and use the screen spanning hack, if you do get a rev B the 9600 owns the 5200 silly.

14. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

I would rather probably get a PowerMac, just for the upgradability factor (hard drive, ram, etc.) Also, because I'd rather just have one monitor and either use a KVM switch or something. Unless you can convince me overwhelmingly to get an iMac

15. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I think upgradeability is overrated. Both the iMac and PowerMac have upgradeable RAM. You shouldn’t need to upgrade your hard drive. They both come with 160GB. If you think that might not be enough, pay $68 to move up to the 250GB. If that isn’t going to work for you, an external hard drive might be the best solution in the end any way. The graphics card is upgradeable in the PowerMac, but the 128MB Radeon is no slouch. In the end, when you are ready to upgrade your iMac it will probably be best to just pay another $1000 and get a sweet new iMac. Think about it, would you rather buy a new iMac or a 3 year old PowerMac and try to upgrade it. New computers are just better. Plus if you get the upgradeable itch, you PC is much better for that.

I think the best reason to get an iMac instead of the PowerMac is you will have two kick butt computers. And when friends come over to run WarCraft 3 or World of Warcraft, you’ll be able to support more people. Or just the random friends surfing the net. It’s much better than trying to run two CPUs on one monitor.

Lets be honest, the iMac is just straight up sexy. Get the bluetooth keyboard and mouse for $54, wall mount it, and run with no wires. The PowerMac doesn't even come with bluetooth or wireless. Girls dig the iMac. An iMac will get you laid.

And it’s cheaper.

lasuther

16. tristan macrumors 6502a

In the Apple line, the iBooks and iMacs are the best values by far. If a high-end iBook or iMac will give you what you need, go for it. A 20" 2.0 ghz iMac would be a hell of a machine with a hell of a monitor, and it's still cheaper than the cheapest PowerMac.

But maybe Apple's aren't about value. I used to have a Boxster and I sure didn't buy it for value. Man, I loved driving that car. Now, post-dot-com, I can't afford a Boxster, but I can afford the best laptop in the world - the Apple Powerbook. And I use it about five hours a day on average, where I only drove the porsche about 2 hrs a day. And it cost $2250 instead of $50,000. So maybe it is a good value. :)

17. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I concur!

18. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

My girlfriends thinks the iMac is a tad ugly, and i would have to concur. I prefer the thin bezel of my 2005FPW to the thick one on the iMac.

19. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Go with the PowerMac. When you're doing video editing, you'll want as much power as you can afford. I use a Dual 1.8 GHz G5 for all of my video editing (after using a PC to do it for 3 years), and it's a wonderful machine for video, graphics and audio. Also, the ability to upgrade the PowerMac is a big plus IMO. For video editing, you'll want to have lots of hard drive space, and you can go all the way up to 1 TB inside a PM right now if you want.

Do what you want with your PC. When I switched last year, I kept my PC thinking that I'd still want to use it. After a few weeks with my Mac, I realized I hadn't even switched it on since I got the Mac, and therefore I sold it. I now have a (less powerful) PC that was given to me free of charge, and the only time I ever boot it up is to play around with Linux.

20. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

LOL!!!!!

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

a powerbook will get you laid, an imac will get you a steady relationship.

22. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

iBook's will get you laid ... because they are "oh so cute". It's like walking around with a puppy :)

You know they aren't the best, you know the aren't the most powerful but who cares when she thinks they are :)

23. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

i think what i'm going to do is get the 'lowend' powermac dual-2ghz. one of the main reasons is that i probably won't upgrade much, which means i don't care about the pci-x. the ram is still tough, but 4gb is a lot of ram. and i want the power of the dual-g5 instead of an imac. and i'm totally against all-in-one machines as well. i figure i get the dual, then in a few years i can get a new machine, and network them or something. because upgrading is really a waste if you're like me and get absolutely everything, then decide you want something different entirely!

i got the edu discount, so it's $1799. i'm scared off by the refurbs i think. do i have justification to be? or should i be getting one of those?

so how does the dual 2ghz g5 really compare to the x86 side of things? Like real benchmarks, not the apple biased ones on their site (IMO)

24. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I think barefeats is fairly unbiased, although some would disagree. Try http://www.barefeats.com/macvpc.html

25. tristan macrumors 6502a

Refurbs - naah, don't be scared, they're just as good as new macs, especially if you're planning to get Applecare anyway.