should I buy a MacBook Pro now or later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sprice05, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. sprice05 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2005
    #1
    I'm set on purchasing a MacBook Pro soon. I video edit with Final Cut Studio and use After Effects and Photoshop frequently as well. This would be my primary machine as well. I would get the 2.0GHZ with the 7200rpm HD and 2GB RAM. I don't care about the apps that aren't universal yet, I don't mind waiting.

    My question is, aren't the MBP's coming out in August with faster processors? Should I wait until then? Buy now? I currently have a 12" PowerBook.
     
  2. Melkor macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    #2
    I'd say wait if you don't badly need it (which I'm assuming you don't givin you alreay have a powerbook).

    I heard the current models have some airport trouble at the moment.
     
  3. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast, US
    #3
    Why not wait until 2010? I'm sure that they'll have computers with faster processors running Mac OS X 10.6 by then.

    The standard answer on MacRumors is: if you need it, buy it. If you don't, wait.
     
  4. Seasought macrumors 65816

    Seasought

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    #4
    Wait.
     
  5. sprice05 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2005
    #5
    i have a buyer for my 12" powerbook. if they buy it, i will be selling it within a week or so. the powerbook is the only mac computer i have. so i would be "forced" into buying a new mac. i can spend up to $3000 for a system ($2500 would be a comfortable amount to spend). i really want to stay portable though. i cant ground myself to editing at home all the time with a huge powermac. and from what i understand... the core duo's are just as fast as the dual core 2.0ghz powermac. and motion is an app i am really looking forward to using on a core duo machine with 256mb vram.

    if i had to ground myself to a desktop, i would. but portable just makes more sense for me.
     
  6. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

    khisayruou

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2004
    #6
    And the other is...Be very wary of revision A mac products.

    I personally would wait on the MBP revB
     
  7. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast, US
    #7
    By that logic, the Rev E Aluminum Powerbooks should be perfect, but they had a display problem that is arguably the worst display problem any Mac laptop has ever had. In fact, every Powerbook rev has had it own set of problems (the last Rev of the Titanium Powerbooks had the white spotting problem which is arguably the second worst display problem any Mac laptop has had). The iBooks had a logic board problem that spanned several Revs.

    You may be seeing a number of complaints on the MBPs, but that's because the MBPs are selling like crazy (so there's a lot of them out there and a percentage of them will have problems). And of course, significantly more people will write to complain than will write to say that nothing's wrong with their computer.
     
  8. nylon macrumors 6502a

    nylon

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2004
    #8
    I'd wait. Lots of problems with these machines. There are good units out there, however, more often then not people seem to have problems. Some people are quite content to deal with the issues for the latest and greatest from Apple. You might or might not be one of these people. I still say wait. See the user reports in the link below for a better idea from people actually own the machine.

    Macbook Pro User Reports
     
  9. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

    khisayruou

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2004
    #9
    Hmmm, your taking it a little too far there...
    Maybe I should of put smiley faces all over that post?!?
    What you said is very true and I don't deny any of the problems.
    But its just a fact that many mac users would say, be careful with any revA. BTW, the RevE aluminum powerbook had a RevA screen. ;) :D :D
     
  10. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2006
    #10
    if 15" is a sweet spot for you, I say go for it! I bit the bullet earlier this week after selling my previous G4 pbook, and now the wait for shipping is killing me.

    There will ALWAYS be upgrades as well as new issues. I decided that the MBP is quite a huge step up from my 1.33 ghz g4 and went for it.
     
  11. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast, US
    #11
    Wouldn't it be more accurate to say "Be careful with any new computer"? I'm still not seeing how a Rev A is more prone to problems.
    :) :rolleyes: :D :p

    Here's the Macintouch Reader Report on the Powerbook, which report problems just as bad as MBPs:
    Macintouch Reader Reports for Powerbook G4
     
  12. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

    khisayruou

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2004
    #12
    ...its just an expression...a saying...even a theory that has engrained itself into Apple's history.

    "There is an old rule that I haven’t seen mention of in a while: Never buy revision A of Apple hardware." @ EvanAgee.com

    The bottom post is actually a pretty good read. I think the first paragraph pretty much sums it up, especially the end..."I think it's a fascinating mindset from a time long past." The saying is simply what a lot of users say, whether or not the saying is "more accurate" doesn't matter...Its a phenomenon that has history and its going to be staying with Apple for a long time...Its also quite interesting how "Revision A and B" came about.

    The "Waiting for Revision B" Theory @ AppleInsider Forum

    :cool:
     

Share This Page