Should I buy a macbook pro, or is my powerbook enough?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by spuality, Feb 23, 2007.

1. spuality macrumors newbie

I was planning on buying a macbook pro once leopard comes out. Right now I have an 15" aluminum 1Ghz powerbook G4 with 768mb memory. I was planning on upgrading so that i could run aperture, but since adobe has released lightroom 1.0, I'm thinking of using that instead. I'm trying the 30 trial right now, and it seems to be running OK. My question is, if I upgraded the memory to 2 gigs, would I notice enough of an increase in speed to run lightroom 1.0 and photoshop CS3 (when it's released) on my G4? Would my powerbook be able to hold on a little longer so that I can keep saving and maybe buy a more powerful desktop, so I could have the desktop and laptop together. I don't do really demanding stuff on my computer, my photo editing is just basic color correcting and printing. Also, if I buy photoshop and lightroom, will I be able to install them on more than one computer? I know adobe has pretty strict liscensing rules.

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Your PB is more than enough for this. I would strongly discourage buying the MBP if you do not need that speed.

Some people on here will tell you that PowerPC is dead. They are wrong. I recently upgraded the HDD and Ram on my 1.33Ghz PB and the performance increase is wonderful. Running CS3 Beta very very well.

If you don't need the speed of the MBP, look around for some upgrades for the PB and go with that. You'll be happy you saved the cash.

David