Should I buy a new (3G) iPod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bluefusion, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2003
    New York, NY
    I've had my first-gen iPod for what seems like forever... February of the year after they came out (November is when they were announced I think?).

In that time, it has become as essential a part of my life as... well, more essential than almost anything, really. I love the thing. I've grown from a lover of music to an aficionado to a downright fanatic... and my AAC collection has grown because of it.

5 GB seemed like SO much... but now I've got almost 10! In AAC!

Is it time to consider the next step?

1. Right now, my 5GB iPod stores only my "Top Rated" playlist, which fits completely (but just barely). However, because I can't rate songs on-the-go, a lot of things don't end up on the Top Rated list (because I forget to add them) or should be taken off (again, because I forget to change the ratings--walking around with my iPod is rather different than sitting in front of iTunes and remembering what I wanted to change!). The new iPod's rating thing would help a LOT here.

2. Add to that the On-The-Go playlists... which would be HEAVEN... and it sounds like a new iPod would be a great thing for me. I switch songs frequently (FF, RW, FF, RW, over and over and over--yeah, I have a much shorter attention span than I ever realized...), and having the ability to CHOOSE the exact songs I wanted beforehand would help a lot...

3. More space would be good; I could store all my music and a bit extra...

4. A WORKING REMOTE. This is a biggie. The iPod remote (for the early models) is useless; keeps coming out all the time! In addition, the new models wouldn't have spinning wheels, so the volume wouldn't change drastically as I walked (unless you use Hold, but that sucks too)... the touchpad on the new iPods doesn't move by itself, yay.

5. and finally... a really good backlight. I would love it (I hate the old iPod backlight!)

But now the "bads".

1. The battery life is really crappy on the new ones! I don't want to be charging the damn thing every time I'm not using it... and I do sometimes use it for 6-7 hours a day, off and on. Also, it gets cold here, and my G1 iPod battery ran down fast ENOUGH last winter.. the new one could be positively disastrous. However, maybe if I could keep it in my INSIDE pocket, using the remote, it might stay warmer? This is an option I don't currently have... Hmmm.

2. I'm really not sure about the touchpad. I really do prefer the wheel, as it's more natural to me (rubbing a flat surface is just... odd...). I've used the G3 iPod a lot but I just can't get that used to it. The buttons seem too sensitive... Maybe with time?

3. I like the look of the old one much better. The new one's more normal, not as sleek or sophisticated in my opinion. The old iPod is a design icon, while the new one almost looks like some other company's ripoff of it...

4. Not having a standard FireWire cable is rather annoying, especially if I want to use it on multiple computers in multiple places... I have to take the whole cradle/cable assembly with me, instead of just using an available FireWire cord at both locations...

5. Do I really need another iPod? Mine works fine, and does most of what I need it to... although the wheel moving in my pocket is quite annoying, mine is scratched up and the case makes the screen look really crappy, and the wheel's dirty (the new ones don't scratch as much, and can't get dust in a wheel), and it's kind of big--too thick to comfortably fit in some of my pockets, but I've gotten used to it anyway...

I'd be getting the now-discontinued 15 GB model with dock, remote and case. It's the only one that makes sense.

So 5 reasons for, 5 reasons against. What do you think? Someone please help me decide, before my 5 GB becomes too old to resell? :p
  2. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2001
    Torrance, Californizzel
    The battery life on the new 3G iPods seem to go WAY faster than the older pods...Not sure why...My wife's 2nd generation pod can handle the charge way better....I can live with it though.
    Personally, I could wait (if I had the same predictament).Why?...Let them come down in price (you'll have to wait a while) and wait for FURTHER firmware to come out and possibly address the battery issue.....I would wait....
  3. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2003
    Re: Should I buy a new (3G) iPod?

October 23, 2001

4. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    as a rule with Apple products...

if it works for what you need now

you don't have a few hundred bucks to shoot at a new iPod

there will be something bigger and better within a few months

hang in there Blue, and when you need something bigger you'll be glad you waited because your new 6 or 7G iPod will have some other nifty feature that'll you'll find to be more useful than ever
  5. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    I don't particularly care for the new iPods. I have a first gen 10GB, and my fiance has a new 15GB. I like mine considerably more.

The new design looks cheap and lacks the refinement of the old one. That clear sharp front edge is so nice.

just mho
  6. morlium macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2002
    Re: Re: Should I buy a new (3G) iPod?

but they weren't available until Nov. 10, 2001.
  7. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    I have a 15GB version and I must say the battery life is terrible. I like the rounded corners better though. The unit slides into my pockets nicely without having to shove it in.

Also, you won't have to pack the cradle, just the cable. I do realize that it isn't a standard cable. I like the cradle, although I think the design is pretty terrible. I think the cradle is a weak point and feels just too chinsy (sp?).

One thing I did do is get a set of clear covers for a PDA and cut one to fit over my iPod screen. This keeps the scratches off the screen, although it took a couple of days to get used to the screen change after applying the film.

As for design of the iPod itself, I like the layout of the new iPod better. The only thing I can think of is that since all of the buttons are touch sensitive, like the scrollpad, that is what pulls more battery power.
  8. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    I think it's "chintzy", like chintz armchairs. I remember Prof. Trelawny in Harry Potter has her classrom room full of chintz armchairs. :)

Bluefusion has a couple options: Get a used/refurb 2nd gen iPod with more capacity (PowerMax has 'em and will take trade-ins), or maybe wait to see if user reports show the just-revised iPods to have better battery life.

I have to say I'm not really fond of the new design either. Not just for the reasons I posted on the "how big" poll really comes down to me being really big on being able to find all the controls on something solely by touch. The previous layout makes more motor sense and is easier to grope for buttons without accidentally triggering the wrong button by brushing over it. To me, the advantage of the touch-sensitive controls is lost because I have to look at them to use them.

The scrollwheel being touch-sensitive is nice though; I can easily locate it by the other buttons, and it works just as you'd expect it to. I really wouldn't consider that a minus.
  9. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Unless you're maxing out on space, or the sucker's on his last breath, stick with the iPod you have. Then maybe get one with the next round of updates - they could bring anything - 60 GB drives, color screens, FM tuners, who knows? Point is, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

10. Bluefusion thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks, everyone, and great suggestions all around. The capacity alone isn't enough to warrant buying a new one, but I thought the new features in the firmware might be (damn Apple for not giving them to US, buyers from day one!)... so getting an older large-capacity model just isn't the point.

Glad to see others feel the same way about the design, though... good thing I'm not the only one. And battery life seems to be a real issue, which it isn't AT ALL on my current one (I can actually get 15 hours if I turn EQ off, no backlight, and stop every once in a while, ie. not using it for 15 hours straight--and I can reasonably expect a charge to last at least 12 hours... for which I'm quite thankful. That'd be tough to give up, and I'm glad people have responded on the battery issue to give me a chance to weigh in.

Thanks, guys! I'm from Macfora, by the way, and I've only come here recently, but I've found the MR forums to be much more exciting and interesting than I remembered! Think I'll stay here :) Every type of post has a place to be put, and people actually respond with good ideas... nice :D