Should I buy a new iPod?qq

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macreator, Dec 2, 2003.

1. macreator macrumors regular

macreator

I was considering getting a new iPod for the holidays. Is this a good idea or not? I guess what I am trying to ask is whether or not this is the right time to buy an iPod since it is so close to MWSF. Will I be screwed soon if I buy an iPod now?

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I doubt there will be an update at MWSF as they weren't updated that long ago. Having said that, as the previous updates were just upgrades to the hard drive capacities, the next update could be something big.

However, Apple is unlikely to add a colour screen due to battery life issues (and there's no room for a bigger battery). The iPod is meant to be simple.

My brother got a new 20GB iPod in late September and he loves it. If anything does come out at MWSF I reckon it will just be a new addition to replace the low end 10GB model that didn't get updated (i.e. a cheaper 5GB model or the like if Apple can do it by then).

3. macreator thread starter macrumors regular

macreator

Is there any chance, dare I ask, that Apple will release some form of a Newton II? Just for speculation...

4. macreator thread starter macrumors regular

macreator

I think I am going to go for getting a new iPod, I know battery is not as good as older models but has anyone found it that much of a difference in everyday life?

5. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

I've been asking myself the same question: buy now or wait? (I bought my Canon PowerShot G2 about a week before the G3 came out.)

About the battery issue- Belkin offers a cool battery charging pack that runs on AA (or AAA...can't remember) batteries.

Hmmm...this month or wait?

Squire

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Not the PDA rumours again...!

The problem with technology is you never know when the next best thing will come out. I can get my ditial camera for £50 cheaper than I paid for it late summer. A new model will probably replace it soon. But I am still happy with my purchase :)

If you really want an iPod, get one now. My brother's is brilliant. And there are plenty of battery replacing programs and the like coming out now. I'd advise to get the middle one, as you get all the dock and everything. The 40GB one is slightly heavier and thicker and has a LOT of space to fill.

7. ksz macrumors 68000

I'd recommend the 30GB iPod. Remaining inventory is still available from Apple Stores and third-party retailers. Apple's price is $419 which is merely $20 more than the 20GB model.

If new models come out within a month or two (not very likely, but not impossible either) don't worry, just upgrade to the even better models that will follow in 2005 or 2006. Unless there is a built-in feature you really must have or strong rumors of imminent new models, buy what is available today and skip the next one or two generations.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I would recommend buying now. You never know, but I honestly don't see more iPod updates until spring. So unless you want to wait 4-6 months, get one for the Xmas season and enjoy it! iPods were recently updated so I don't think we'll see anything new at MWSF - after all, there's a large list of products due for updates before iPods, i.e. xServes, LCDs, PowerMac Rev Bs...

9. skymac macrumors member

Get it now and enjoy it, I would not recoment the 10 due to the fact that you dont get a dock, case or the remot(i happen to find the remote a little useless althou i've yet to use one since it has no lcd)Eventually there may be more built in features but apple is not going to do that until they can keep the shape size and weight the same or almost tha same. theres no point in waiting until tomorrow. Get what they have to offer now and like ksz said if there a must have built in feature (wich you can probably get an external version off)if not wait till the one you by goes to iPod heaven then get whatevers out at the time