Should I buy a new LCD TV to double as my monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2A Batterie, Dec 14, 2006.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I just moved and am setting up my new project studio for audio. I am in need of a new monitor for my setup, but am thinking of saving some space and getting an LCD TV that I could use as both my monitor and TV. My budget is $500 and under. Would it be wise to try and set up my monitor for both my computer and cable box? I don't do much photo editing or anything where I need a killer display. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Most LCD TVs under $500 are low res. You can get a higher-res 20 or 21" widescreen computer LCD for less than that.

Heck, even most 19" widescreen computer LCDs (at 1440 x 900) are higher res than all non-1080p LCD TVs (which are mostly 1280 x 720 or 1366 x 768). And those are even LESS expensive than 20 and 21" LCD computer monitors.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What is it with all these threads recently.

With an HDTV you get easy hookup to TV sources (HD or not), speakers, and usually a tuner.

With a monitor you get, higher resolution & brightness, typically more adjustability in the stand, more PC oriented hookups.

What's more important to you. The TV aspects or the monitor aspects.

That said. Samsung has a 19" TV in your price range that seems to offer a decent medium between the two, as it's 1440x900 and has both TV and PC inputs.

B

4. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Sorry if I sound like a n00b, but could I just get a nice Dell display and have that double as my TV? This whole area is foreign to me.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could hook up most DVD players, game consoles, satellite receivers etc.. directly to a Dell, or other monitor, but you'd need to supply speakers, and if you wanted over the air reception or cable you might need a separate tuner.

B

6. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I have a cable box from Insight (my provider) and I have tons of audio speakers, cables, mixers, etc. Would a Dell work with a cable box or do I need to get some sort of convertor?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What outputs does the cable box have? Composite(yellow)/component(red/green/blue)/HDMI? Or does it look like the input cable.

B

8. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

It has RCA's out (red/white/yellow), in's (red/white) and it also has a cable out.

9. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Do you know the specific model number?

10. Reaver macrumors 6502

why not buy one of the new Gateway HD displays and you can use it as a tv monitor and monitor for your MBP.

Gateway HD monitor

11. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I'll check it out, although I have a G5, but I'm sure it will work. The link you provided doesn't work... do you have a model number or a live link? Thanks.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's composite, so yes it should work, but you'll get some scaling artifacts that may make the picture look worse on an LCD than on your standard TV of the same size.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNS1951WXXAA.asp

Your link is broken, I fixed it in the quote.

Same resolution and slightly larger than the Dell 2007FPW, but the Dell can often be had much cheaper with coupons and discounts. Just got some at work for $299.

B

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Most LCD TVs will look cr@ptacular for computer work

I have a Dell Ultrasharp 2405 I use attached to a DVD player (via component video) and a stereo, and I use it for watching movies (no broadcast TV or cable in our house). It's brillant for movies. No remote controls or speakers, of course, but my DVD and Receiver have those. Picture is better than my Dell 23" LCD TV.

14. Reaver macrumors 6502

sorry about the broken link.

that gateway got some good reviews and I have read some post from here from poeple liking it and so on.

15. Reaver macrumors 6502

and yes it will work with your G5 aslong as your video card on your G5 can do the resolution of the display.

16. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I think the Gateway FPD2275W looks like it could be a possible fit. 22" widescreen (good real esate for working with DAW's like Pro Tools and Live!, which have multiple windows) and $400 work for me. Although I'm going over the specs at it has a 700:1 contrast ratio as compared to the 800:1 on the Dell 2007FPW. The Gateway has a 5ms response time compared to 16ms for the Dell. Both have a resolution of 1680 x 1050. I did a quick froogle search for the Dell and I can get if for 378. I'm thinking Gateway. What do you guys think?

17. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

By the way Reaver, we both live in the same city!

18. Reaver macrumors 6502

no way what side of town do you live in?

19. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I used to live in the Bexley/Gahanna/East Side part of town, but I just moved to up North off of 71 at N. Broadway.

20. Reaver macrumors 6502

I live on the eastside over by bexely/groveport area

21. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Wow, I went to school in Bexley at Capital University. Small world. To get back on topic, I'm thinking of going with the Gateway since it has a quicker refresh time and is a bit bigger (2" although they both have the same resolution of 1680 x 1050). Does anyone think this it is/isn't a good idea to get the Gateway to use as both my monitor and TV?

22. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

The majority of the LCD TVs available for less then $500 are going to be very low resolution and with the exception of actually watching TV/DVDs on them- would be a waste of money.

23. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

So you think that a resolution of 1680 x 1050 would not be worth it?

24. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Honestly, for $500? No- especially considering resolution is not the only contributing factor to a monitor's image quality.

25. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can't get 1680x1050 in a ~$500 HDTV, only in a monitor like the Gateway (which is NOT a TV, bring your own speakers).

B