Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kathl85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Canada
I currently have a Toshiba Satellite 1800, 240mb ram, 1.10 Ghz, Pentinum 3 processor, 30GB. I've had it for almost three years, but lately a lot of problems have arised. The LCD screen keeps going blank, the CD-rw is broken, the computer shuts down everytime I pause a dvd or avi. I am thinking about buying another laptop, and if I do, I want to know if I should get a notebook or a powerbook (or maybe even an ibook). Here are a couple things you should know about me, I am a college student, I can afford a 12' G4 powerbook or a Toshiba Satellite P10 (or something else?). I mainly use my computer for downloading a lot of music/videos/software, so I usually attract a lot of spyware/viruses. I want a dvd-rw/rom to burn all my music/videos, also a cd-rw/rom. I also use it to browse the internet and write some programming. I need a faster, reliable laptop that doesn't always have a breakdown, and excellent with multimedia, esp with avi files. I would appreciate your input! :)

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
Well, the powerbooks are *expecting* some updates in the near future.

I would say wait until the new line rolls out, then see what they have to offer.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
kathl85 said:
I currently have a Toshiba Satellite 1800, 240mb ram, 1.10 Ghz, Pentinum 3 processor, 30GB. I've had it for almost three years, but lately a lot of problems have arised. The LCD screen keeps going blank, the CD-rw is broken, the computer shuts down everytime I pause a dvd or avi. I am thinking about buying another laptop, and if I do, I want to know if I should get a notebook or a powerbook (or maybe even an ibook). Here are a couple things you should know about me, I am a college student, I can afford a 12' G4 powerbook or a Toshiba Satellite P10 (or something else?). I mainly use my computer for downloading a lot of music/videos/software, so I usually attract a lot of spyware/viruses. I want a dvd-rw/rom to burn all my music/videos, also a cd-rw/rom. I also use it to browse the internet and write some programming. I need a faster, reliable laptop that doesn't always have a breakdown, and excellent with multimedia, esp with avi files. I would appreciate your input! :)
well since this IS a macforum.... you should grab the 12 inch powerbook. Put airport on it and youhave a sweet machine. Just upgrade the ram later. It seems like you have had alot of problems and just to tell you my 12 inch powerbook has not crashed since i got it! (1month ago) everything has worked perfectly.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
ok, let me help you a little bit. Listen....in the Pc market there are tons and tons of great computers that can serve the purpose for what you want them, now, the difference in PC and Macs is most of all, the OS.

Of course Apple has an amazing catalog of cool stuff but regarding Computers/Hardware, Apples and PC's can pretty much do the same. Of course, Apples are the prettiest most advanced-futuristic COOLEST machines (in my opinion), but for example, Powerbooks are Pretty, slim, very weightless, but i'm just out there in PC land you can find a very pretty-futuristic, slim PC notebook too.

So my point is this......even tho Macs are awasome, and i wouldn't trade them for anything in the world, out there in the PC world you can find A LOT of cool stuff too. But when it comes down to the OS, then there's the catch 22. Windows is a very good OS, but it's kind of unstable. PC/Windows users say, that windows is a very good OS and that you just need to keep the maintness up to date, and have your firewall and your anti-virus up to date and try not to download everything you see, and not to enter this or that type of websites that may have spyware, and don't open mails that look/feel weird...blah blah.........if you do that, then you won't have a problem with windows at all................

.......BUT JESUS! they're asking you to do NOTHING with your machine!....c'mon man i mean the greatest feeling in the world about having a Mac is the freedom of surfing wherever you want, downloading anything you like, opening whatever e-mail you feel like opening....so it really comes down to the OS.

Of course i must warn you, Mac Laptops are a little bit behind - speed wise - compared to the PC notebooks. i still don't really know WHY, but apple's having a hard time addapting a G5 chip into a laptop....they'll eventually FIT IT IN there, but it's going to take a little more time. NOW, DON'T GO THINKING APPLES COMPUTER ARE S L O W, cuz they ain't. they're simple not the fastest laptops around, but after being a PC users for 13 years and a recent switcher, i must tell you that i don't know why, but in the Mac world (mac programs, mac applications, mac computers, etc. etc.) things don't feel slow, at least not in my case. i pretty much do the SAME things you do. and so far not a single problem.

so thin about it, but if you're going to be downloading stuff, working with media, and if you just plain and simple want a computer that is COOL lookin, SLIM, FUTURISTIC, JAW DROPPING, RELIABLE, WITH A TITANIUM - HARD ROCK ALIKE, STABLE OS, then the Powerbook's your machine. I tel you this as a Powerbook owner as well!

Good luck.

P.S. Sorry for the looong post but i had to really help you with a GOOD non biased opinion! :D

kathl85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Canada
Thanks guys for replying. I do have adware and norton antivirus, but they don't work that well and takes too long to scan since I got like a zillion files. How exactly slow are apples? I want something that encodes and play my video files at a high speed, is that going to be a problem?

ricebag

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2004
Indiana
Powerbook

Powerbook 12"s are great. Keep in mind that you really do not need Norton or any other antivirus or antispyware program on a mac. (At least, I have never in my life as an Apple user - around 15 years - had a single one of either.) As long as you have plenty of RAM, Powerbooks are as fast as you need them to be. If you absolutely need max speed, I'd get a larger one because they have more slots for RAM (I think?) but my 12" 1.33 gh with 1 gig of RAM has never, ever felt slow. (I also have the 80 gigabyte, 5200 rpm hard drive.)

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
As a powerbook owning college student, I have experience downloading .avi's. My external drive gets a workout playing the near 125 DVD rips I have, and my Powerbook can handle it-- even while having fun in Photoshop/Garageband/other RAM hungry programs. Plus, when you get a Mac, there's also the 'cool' factor. I say this because I feel cool not lugging around a 12 lb. laptop. My computing experience has been revolutionized using this machine. No longer do I stay up into the wee hours of the night trying to download drivers for peripherals, restarting my Windows computer, and pulling my hair out. If you can sacrifice a couple of Mhz (although in reality, you'll probably find your Powerbook faster than any other laptop you use, at least that's what has happened to me), then go for an Apple machine.

Oh yeah, and when you get it, be sure to use VLC for your .avi files.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
kathl85 said:
Thanks guys for replying. I do have adware and norton antivirus, but they don't work that well and takes too long to scan since I got like a zillion files. How exactly slow are apples? I want something that encodes and play my video files at a high speed, is that going to be a problem?

i've got a Powerbook 1.25 ghz with 512 ram and I have never had a speed performance problem playing back an AVI up to 1200 MB (only because thats the biggest i've ever had, i believe). any other files in iMovie and such never have posed a performance problem. The only time i can remember there being a problem is in Garageband when I had 18 real instrument recorded tracks, all with different extensive effects, mixed at different levels, playing at once. and even then, it made it through it pretty well unless i had other apps running in the background (aim, safari). so, if your short on cash, but still want something with kick, maybe look into getting a referb 15 inch PB (15 inch instead of 12 because you'll appreciate the bigger screen watching movies etc.) or a previous generation one. good luck

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
Before deciding to go with a Powerbook, I'd first make sure the program you use for downloading movies and music works under OS X.

kathl85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Canada
Is there a huge difference between 256mb and 512mb ram? Would it affect playing video files alot? Also I heard from someone that the laptop gets really hot after awhile..

kathl85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Canada
Do you guys think $1800 US for a G4 PB 15', 80GB, 1.25 ghz, superdrive, 512Mb ram and backlit kepboard is a good deal?

clr900

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
kathl85 said:
Do you guys think $1800 US for a G4 PB 15', 80GB, 1.25 ghz, superdrive, 512Mb ram and backlit kepboard is a good deal?
Thats a pretty good deal. For the same price through edu store online you could get a new 15in 1.33 ghz but it would not have a superdrive. Also it would only have 60gb hd and 256 ram. The powerbook you are talking about would be great for what you want to do and you need not worry about it feeling slow. You may want to consider adding some ram if you get this deal but it is not absolutely necessary.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
kathl85 said:
Is there a huge difference between 256mb and 512mb ram? Would it affect playing video files alot? Also I heard from someone that the laptop gets really hot after awhile..

Yeah its huge!!!
But RAM is not expensive, most reputated brand (like crucial, kingston, samsung) has 512 mb sticks for about $100. Get 256mb (or 512) and then add another 512 mb stick. Its the best and cheapest way to get most speed out of your computer.
And yes, OSX loves RAM (and needs it for performance), its not waste to have 768 (or 1GB) in a computer that mainly are used for surfing and light weigth video work...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Whatever. Without going into details about it all, you really just need to know that getting 2x 512MB (1GB total), or even 1x512MB + 1x256MB (768MB total) sticks of RAM from OWC or Crucial for a 15" 1.25GHz PB is a big deal. You can survive with less, but its a big factor regarding how fast your computer works, and as RAM isn't too expensive, the cost-benefit of buying RAM is quite large if jumping from 256MB to 768MB or more.

I think the PB is the perfect computer for what you want to do. It's even widescreen, so if you have any widescreen DVDs, it'll be nice to watch on our widescreen 15" PB. :) And speed won't be a problem for what you do.

JLaFrance

macrumors member
May 24, 2004
RAM

RAM is what the computer loads a program (or a piece of it) into when you want to open it. The more your computer can access files from the RAM and less from your harddrive the better. (it;s faster to get it from RAM)

./JL./

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
Beware !DVD burning worst on mac!

Of all the things people say on this form, there is one thing that you should be aware before you get a power book. The SuperDrive is DVD-R ONLY. It will not EVEN read any other form of DVD. So look into that before you proceed. Otherwise OS is excellent and get a 15". 12" is nice but the lack of PC card limits your expansion. Take a look at IBM's new T42p. It is splendid, beautiful and extremely powerful!! If you go to your college store you will get 3 year warranty with the base price (atleast at Boston University here). It has DVD+/-RW. Windows is decent as long as you maintain it well (basic anti-virus, firewall - universities now provide them for free for their students). You would not have lot of downloads (games and software) for mac ;)

I miss the interDVD player on windows, Nothing plays mpeg2 well (VLC does some justice but no where near interDVD). Mpeg2 definitely an inssue unless you get some special plugins (20$). Messaging/Chat ... if you are msn/yahoo it is tough. if you use AOL then you are fine.. I have to say iSight is too good a webcam!!

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
budugu said:
Of all the things people say on this form, there is one thing that you should be aware before you get a power book. The SuperDrive is DVD-R ONLY. It will not EVEN read any other form of DVD. So look into that before you proceed. Otherwise OS is excellent and get a 15". 12" is nice but the lack of PC card limits your expansion. Take a look at IBM's new T42p. It is splendid, beautiful and extremely powerful!! If you go to your college store you will get 3 year warranty with the base price (atleast at Boston University here). It has DVD+/-RW. Windows is decent as long as you maintain it well (basic anti-virus, firewall - universities now provide them for free for their students). You would not have lot of downloads (games and software) for mac ;)

Oh please, rant about a very MINOR problem. Why not do what I do, and get an EXTERNAL DVD/R :eek: , they burn faster some (like mine) do dual layer, and mine also allow more than one type of media to be used. The Apple superdrive is a good backup drive only.

Link to my DVD/R

The powerBook is a great computer. I am also forced to use a Dull for work, which has been replaced twice in a month, and i have to say, the quality of my PowerBook is second to none. 'It Just Works'™. Go for the best one you can afford, but leave enough in reserve for Memory, as has already been said, OsX is VERY memory hungry.

You won't be sorry, Mac is an amazing change from Windows, especially XP (not)Pro.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
kathl85 said:
How exactly slow are apples? I want something that encodes and play my video files at a high speed, is that going to be a problem?

In my experience, encoding is slow (compared to my desktop PC), but playback is fine. The only movies I've every had problems playing are High Definition WMV clips.. but you aren't likely to encounter many of those anyway.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
dubbz said:
In my experience, encoding is slow (compared to my desktop PC), but playback is fine. The only movies I've every had problems playing are High Definition WMV clips.. but you aren't likely to encounter many of those anyway.

ANY laptop (Mac or PC) will be slower than pretty much any desktop. If you want to edit or work with MiniDV or other forms of web-encoded video, you'll be fine with a PowerBook. Load it up with 1GB RAM, upgrade to the 5400rpm Hard disk, and all those claims of PCs being faster simply won't mean anything.

That said, if you already have software for the PC (Photoshop, MS Office, games...) then you may want to stick with a PC laptop, so you don't have to buy them again. IBM makes good ones, albeit a tad expensive.

My vote would be for the 12" 1.33GHz PowerBook with 1.25GB RAM and 5400rpm 80GB hard drive. (Get the RAM from Crucial, not from Apple).

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
Will apple fans ever loose the fanaticism and stupid rhetoric?

paxtonandrew said:
Oh please, rant about a very MINOR problem. Why not do what I do, and get an EXTERNAL DVD/R :eek: , they burn faster some (like mine) do dual layer, and mine also allow more than one type of media to be used. The Apple superdrive is a good backup drive only.

Spend 2000$ on your computer and get an external DVDRW drive for your uses(a sleek one would cost 200$ more?). If allowed, you people will recomend iPod as an organizer!!! Not that ipod is bad but it is not for a person who is looking for organizer!!

Look i work on both macs and windows. I personally own two macs, an ipod, apple display, airport express,isight....etc, In the office i work on a dual powermacs G4/G5 and also Dell workstations. Why do you people get so diffensive? THAT GUY WANTED TO BURN DVD-RW... so i just cautioned him of that! Every thing has its pros and cons and btw new IBMs are as sleek as the powerbooks (with a centrino 1.8 GHz with 2MB L2 and double the FSB)and weight a shade less. IF this guy is looking for *downloads* and DVD ripping and Mpeg2/4, WMV encoding IBM fits his discription. If that guy wanted a some thing like school work, DVD watching, and some good photoshop etc, powerbook is the way togo..

Guys come on growup! not every thing apple makes is great for every thing! and not all the stuff other people make is crap either.

justinshiding

macrumors member
May 7, 2004
Chicago, IL
budugu said:
Of all the things people say on this form, there is one thing that you should be aware before you get a power book. The SuperDrive is DVD-R ONLY. It will not EVEN read any other form of DVD. So look into that before you proceed. Otherwise OS is excellent and get a 15".

Correct me if I'm wrong (By which I mean try this out, not just tell me I'm wrong) but newer revisions of the superdrive do actually have hardware support for dvd+r discs (burning and reading) ...they just dont have the software support in the OS. I recall someone saying they accidentally used Toast to burn to a dvd+r and it worked fine....

Justin

bdomz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2004
jrv3034 said:
ANY laptop (Mac or PC) will be slower than pretty much any desktop.

any newer laptop with a 7200 rpm hard drive will give a comparably equipped desktop system a run for the money.

kathl85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Canada
budugu said:
THAT GUY WANTED TO BURN DVD-RW... so i just cautioned him of that! Every thing has its pros and cons and btw new IBMs are as sleek as the powerbooks (with a centrino 1.8 GHz with 2MB L2 and double the FSB)and weight a shade less. IF this guy is looking for *downloads* and DVD ripping and Mpeg2/4, WMV encoding IBM fits his discription. If that guy wanted a some thing like school work, DVD watching, and some good photoshop etc, powerbook is the way togo..

Guys come on growup! not every thing apple makes is great for every thing! and not all the stuff other people make is crap either.

Thanks for your advise, but I am not a guy :)

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I thought DVD-R meant that the drive could read DVD's only, and DVD-RW was that the drive could write and read DVD's. Am I missing something? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.