should i buy a pb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by blueandyellow, Jul 14, 2005.

1. blueandyellow macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2005
    hey all.....just having 2nd thoughts. i'm about to jump in the car and buy a 12" pb with superdrive, ipod, printer....all with edu discount. i can't take it anymore. but i'm concerned that there's going to be an update in 2 weeks. whatcha think?
  2. itgoesbuzz macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2005
    royal oak, mi
    do it, updates prob wont be earth shattering anyway.
  3. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    I am waiting patiently till September 12 as my cut off date because I want to get it right before my B-Day. Hopefully by then both books will be updated unless Apple pulls a iBook on the Powerbook.
  4. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    If your going to use it this fall for school and you have a computer now, I would wait till the last day.

But if you don't have a system now, buy it today and you will be happy, the next rev will not do anything todays can not.
  5. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    mate your the only who can answer that question, remember 2 things though before spending any money
    1. Do i need that much computer or will something else do the job required
    2. Are you getting value for money?
  6. blueandyellow thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2005
    guys, big thanks for your help. i'm working on a piece of crap pc that crashes every 10 joke. i've been waiting for over a year for this i'm thinking what's another month. but i feel like i need something now so that i can get work done on it....and i also see what you're saying that any updates won't be earth-shattering.
  7. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
  8. dylomel macrumors member

Nov 26, 2004

buy it,,,,, though i hv been waiting for the G5 PB that probably will not exist ! :D
  9. gregorydanger macrumors member

Oct 18, 2004
    If you need it, go for it.

If there's any PowerBook updates soon.. like mentioned before, they won't be drastic -- Apple's probably waiting for the Intel switch to do anything crazy-like.

What they're offering now are wonderful machines, albeit a little pricey considering their age (IMHO). Go for it.
  10. blueandyellow thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2005
    so i actually drove for 2 hours that night just to get to within 10 miles of the store at closing stuck in 2 traffic jams. (i drove so far to try to save on sales tax.) i'm so bad with decisions.....especially my first new computer in 7 years. now i'm seeing it as a sign to just wait even more......i don't feel like driving up there again right now. i've been waiting for over a year.....what's another month or 2?

also, i thought that a good friend bought a 12" pb last summer around august (and got the ipod through the cram and jam offer) RIGHT after they were updated. but i checked this site and it has no record of there being an update last august. but i could swear that there was a pb update last summer DURING the cram and jam offer.

thanks again for your help.