Should I buy a powerbook tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by appletimeuser, Jul 31, 2005.

1. appletimeuser macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2005
    Tomorrow (August 1st) I think I'm going to purchase the 15'' Super drive Powerbook. Should I wait another week or two? A month? Are there going to be any updates worth waiting for or should I just get it?

I am switching to mac! This is the biggest investment of my life! I might be crazy but I've been thinking about it for a long time. Are there any tips or suggestions for me? How do I connect online wirelessly? Do you need to purchase like a wireless card or something? Please answer all my questions if you can or provide me with any additional tips! Thanks.
  2. Koree macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2004
    Well unless your willing to wait a few months for intel powerbook, just get it, it'll only get better by a few hertz.
  3. appletimeuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2005
    Is it worth waiting for the intell upgrade? Wouldn't it take years for it to completely intergrate and work properly and to make the big change offically?

Another question I had... how long do powerbooks (the superdrives) usually last? (Years) I know this is a generalized question but do you have an estimated idea? I will be using it a lot... prob' 2-4 hours/day...

Any previous experience? Thanks.

Haha.. one more question... If I buy a great powerbook and take good care of it and I'll decide to sell it in a year from now, will I loose a lot of what I spent? I know right now the powerbook's prices stay high in value, but in a year from now do you think it will be the same case? Thanks and sorry for so many questions!
  4. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Apr 22, 2005
    Buy it!

I bought mine a couple of months back.
    similar situation to you: new to mac. huge investment, etc.

I got mine was very very happy, then worried when Apple announced the switch to Intel.
    But threads on this forum made me realise there is nothing ot worry about.

IMHO, i don't think the pbook resale price will drop radically. not until the new Intel machines have been tried and tested, and accpeted by the public.

Your pbook should be good for 3, possibly 4 years.