Should I buy a PowerMAC G4 single for cheap or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mcox912, May 23, 2006.

1. mcox912 macrumors newbie

May 23, 2006
    I need some advice on whether i should buy a powermac g4 single with the following: G4 Quicksilver
    933 Mhz Processor
    1.5 gig RAM
    60 gig HD
    Superdrive CD, DVD, CDRW, DVDRW
    New Apple Keyboard, New Apple Mighty Mouse
    19" Lacie High Resolution Monitor
    OSX 10.4.4 Tiger
    Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Powerpoint
    Final Cut Pro HD
    DVD Studio Pro
    Adobe After Effects
    Photoshop CS
    Illustrator CS
    InDesign CS
    Logic Express 7
    DreamWeaver MX
    Flash MX
    Apple Apeture
    Mac the Ripper
    DVD Backup
    DVD Zone

I desperately want a mac of my own for film editing, web design, etc. but don't have the money for a new one. Should I wait and buy a new one or what? Help me out here.
  2. mcox912 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 23, 2006
    i forgot to add that i'd be paying about $700 for this.
  3. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Jan 14, 2006
    New York City
    That's too much for that setup. I'd wait either for a better deal, the G5's will really come down in price once the intel powermacs come out. Unless you think you'll be able to afford the new intels wait for those.

I wouldn't pay more than maybe 300-400 for that. I just sold a better system than that for $500.

4. 9Charms macrumors regular

May 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I agree: that's really pricey for that setup. The monitor is probably worth $50 if that. The software is probably all pirated anyways, so why don't you just get a Mac Mini Core Solo? Or if you really want a tower, there seems to be a lot of G4 1.25GHz on eBay for $600.
  5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    If those apps are legit, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy it (ask for pictures cd's/dvd's of those apps). Those apps alone are worth more than the computer, for a single G4, it has absolutely no value over 500 dollars.
  6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    If the monitor is an LCD and the software is legit, that's a great deal even though the computer is not that fast anymore. If it's illegal software and/or a CRT, then no way.
  7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    Can that computer even run aperture?? If your going to get a PowerMac G4 at that price range it has to be at least a dual processor or else it's not worth it.