Should I buy a Powermac G5 1.6?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jonasmac, Apr 18, 2006.

  1. jonasmac macrumors member

    Mar 19, 2003
    Hi folks,

    I'm looking at purchasing a Powermac G5 1.6ghz that I've been using at work for the past 3 or so years. I wanted to find out how much the setup is worth before making an offer on it.

    G5 1.6ghz
    2GB Ram
    2x 80gb HD
    Keyboard, Mouse
    Everything else is stock
    17" Apple Studio Display (LCD)
    No BT or AE.

    What do you think? I'm wanting it to hold me over until possibly next summer, when I can purchase a juicy new iMac or MBP. I was wanting to only spend $1K at the most. Is it a worthwhile offer?

    Thanks in advance.
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn


    Mar 23, 2005
    The LCD and RAM stand out but it's a rather low end G5.
  3. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I would say about $850-$950. Though a tad old, it is still a very capable computer. :)
  4. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816


    Jan 14, 2006
    New York City
    900 sounds fair to me, though why not lowball them first with 800? The good part is it already has 2GB of ram and you've been using it for 3 years already so you know it's reliable. Same goes for the LCD.
  5. antiparticle macrumors newbie

    Apr 18, 2006
    I agree with the $850 - $950 offer, maybe a bit less. Check eBay and see what that market's set.

    I've got a nearly identical G5 in my office which is my main workhorse. It excels at everyday tasks (e-mail, word processing, etc.), and with the 2GB of RAM, it'll handle reasonably complex graphic or data-processing tasks. Plus it'll make a great juke box next year when you spring for an Intel based G6 (or whatever they'll be called). Good luck!
  6. FF_productions macrumors 68030


    Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    Price is reasonable at 1000, since an LCD is being included. Push for 950 or a tad lower.
  7. jonasmac thread starter macrumors member

    Mar 19, 2003
    Thanks for all the quick replies. My only issue is whether I should spend up to $800-$950, or spring an extra $200 for an Intel iMac. There would be added cost to upgrade the iLife, OS, and other software, so I would have to keep that in mind as well.

    The system is quite reliable, and I haven't had any major problems over the past 3 years. I actually lowballed a bit at $700 for the setup, so we'll see what they say. (Doubt they take that price).
  8. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a


    Jan 9, 2005
    Queens, NYC
    I would also compare it to the cost of a brand-new 17-inch iMac w/2GB RAM (and free wireless).

    I know you set a limit of $1000, plus there's some value in having a separate monitor, but I'm pretty leery of recommending anybody to spend a good amount of money on PowerPC products.

    EDIT: Looks like you're conscious of the situation.
  9. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Does not hurt to start at a lower bidding price and then work your way up to a higher one if you have to. :)

Share This Page