Should I buy a rMBP 13" now or wait for Haswell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bob7up, Apr 13, 2013.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2012
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    I am currently thinking about selling my 2012 MBA 13" and buying a rMBP 13", although I was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy now or wait for Haswell and hopefully a rMBP 13" refresh.
     
  2. macrumors 6502a

    wlossw

    Joined:
    May 9, 2012
    Location:
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
  3. macrumors 6502

    Rob.G

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2010
    Location:
    NW Oregon
    #3
    Yeah at this point, go refurb or wait for Haswell.

    Rob
     
  4. macrumors demi-god

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2009
    Location:
    Blainville, Province of Quebec
    #4
    You already have a 2012 MBA, you might Haswell wait:p

    Joking aside, you probably are in no rush so I would wait. When the new ones comes out, if you still want the actual model, go to futureshop or bestbuy at that time and they will be on sale or buy it refurb at Apple at that time and they might even be cheaper.

    In 2008 I bought the early 2008 15 inches MBP the week when the fall 15 inches came out, I saved something like 250$. at futureshop
     
  5. macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #5
    I'd wait.

    I'd wait for Wishingwell. Specs are suppose to be killer.
     
  6. macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #6
    You say the same thing on every "should I wait" thread. While I agree that one should not wait forever, there is nothing wrong with waiting for a few months, if you don't need a computer now, for a computer with better specs and a few more features. Not all people will wait for infinity; some just do not feel comfortable buying a new computer when a brand new one is just 4-5 months away. I am waiting for Haswell; that doesn't mean I'll be waiting for Broadwell, Skylake or Skymont.
     
  7. macrumors 68040

    calderone

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle
    #7
    Then why ask the question?
     
  8. macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #8
    What? The question about should I buy a computer now? People ask that because everyone has a different situation. In some situations people have a computer which died, and they need it to get work done. In that case, buying a new one is a must. Or in other cases, when the new generation is a year away, people should not wait in most situations. But around now, when you have a perfectly good 2012 MBA and Haswell is 5 months away, waiting is a good choice.
     
  9. macrumors 68040

    calderone

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle
    #9
    Again, why ask the question then? Each of the cases you pointed out are clear cut, based on your own diagnosis.

    1. Computer dead? Buy a new one.
    2. Computer outdated, but close to refresh and can wait? Wait.
    3. Computer outdated, but refresh is far out and can't wait? Buy a new one.

    At the end of the day, the question can be reduced to: "Am I in a position to wait or do I need to buy one right now?"

    I will be jumped on shortly with comments like: "This is a forum! People can ask questions!" and "Everyone's situation is different!"

    The answer to both is, of course. But a few moments of thought would lead a person to their answer.
     
  10. macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #10
    The question is idiotic.

    You're asking someone to make the decision for you. Or you're asking for people to manipulate your thought process. Or you're asking for someone to give you information to justify the decision one way or the other.

    It's pathetic.

    If you want now, then buy now. If you don't care and can wait, then wait.

    If you want now and want the newer one too, buy now and resell when the new one arrives and pay the difference.

    It's not rocket science. It's simple.

    But really, wait forever. It's more cost effective.
     
  11. macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #11
    Exactly, and I agree 100%. However, I don't think the answer is to give the OP a hyperbole saying "Wait forever while you're at it!" The answer above would have been good. That was my point.
     
  12. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    #12
    There are two schools of thought...

    1) Just buy it now
    You're never going to win the waiting game: the next greatest thing is around the corner. And that "corner" is constantly moving since Apple isn't THAT consistent with their release schedule (recent iMacs as an example).

    Meanwhile for all we know, the next release might just be a minor speed bump and not a Haswell. Rumors are just speculation, Apple isn't exactly known to be open with their release schedule or specs.




    2) Haswell might actually be a decent bump for the 13"
    Haswell's biggest "bump" is the Integrated Graphics Card. So, while the 15" MacBook Pro won't see a major bump due to having a Discreet GPU, the 13" will supposedly see a nice improvement.



    Considering it sounds like you already have a decent machine I'd personally wait. But if you had an older machine I'd say get one now.
     
  13. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2009
    #13
    Wait for Haswell. The iGPU will be faster and the CPU + chipset heavily optimized to improve battery life.
     
  14. macrumors demi-god

    JHUFrank

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    #14
    Wait for Haswell. No sense jumping in now, especially since you have a nice machine anyway.
     

Share This Page