Should I buy a Wii

Discussion in 'Games' started by Texas04, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Well I am expecting a nice chunk of money soon as I am a finalist in a competiton.. And I was wondering...

Should I buy a Wii.. I would also like to know what websites I can go to see what games will be upcoming for the Wii, and well lemme just make a list of my questions.

1. For a person who is very busy, yet on holidays and weekends am able to play and who used to be very physically active (sports not.. well lol), would the Wii be good?
    2. Would you advice buying a Wii or a Xbox 360 (Halo 3 main motive), I dont have an HDTV
    3. How much are the controllers, and how many are there? Im really confused as to how many it comes with and what it comes with.
    4. What Kind of games are there for it? Any good shooting, RPG, Racing games for it? I know nitendo is usually not known for this thats why im asking. and What Websites are there for upcoming "in the making" games, and are they at the usual 50 dollar price point?

Hope yall can help me decide... hmm very confused

2. paintballer macrumors regular

2. Don't waste your money on a 360 if you don't have a HDTV.
    3. The main controllers are the remote which is $40 and the nunchuck that is $20 and then there is the classic controller that is just for playing VC games. It comes with one remote and one nunchuck.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

1. Sure.

2. Wii. :cool:

3. The "Wiimote" is $40 and the Nunchuck attachment is $20. Not all games require the Nunchuck. The console comes with one of each.

4. Released games, there's not a /huge/ selection of course. Off the top of my head... Shooting: Red Steel. Racing: Excite Truck, GT Pro Series, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam (it's like SSX).

For upcoming games, you could check Gamefaqs.com, GameSpot, IGN... the usual sites. I don't know where to see a comprehensive list of all upcoming games including ones with no known ETA.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

1) Yes. Definitely. The Wii will also have more "pick up and play" games (like Wii Sports, WarioWare, and Excite Truck) that you can play when you have short periods of time.

2) Wii, definitely.

3) The Wii comes with 1 remote and 1 nunchuck. Seperately, a remote costs $40, a nunchuck costs $20.

Some games just use the remote (Excite Truck, 4 of the 5 Wii Sports minigames, etc), while others require both a remote and a nunchuck (Red Steel, Zelda, Call of Duty, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, etc).

Personally, I picked up 3 extra remotes and 1 extra nunchuck (total of 4 remotes, 2 nunchucks).

4) Games:

Shooting:
    To be honest, the games out there now suffer from the standard launch title syndrome. Call of Duty 3 is GREAT on the Wii, but to get it out in time for launch, they cut out multiplayer mode. I hear the single player mode is awesome though. Red Steel is also a decent FPS game, I've heard good and bad. Far Cry is coming out next month and more FPS are on the way. Metroid Prime 3 is sort of an Adventure/FPS.

RPG:
    While usually categorized as "Adventure", Zelda is quite similar to RPGs in many ways. Zelda is quite simply the best Adventure game, ever. Also, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Dragon Quest Swords, and Pokemon Battle Revolution are all on the way (Pokemon is online, FF:CC may be online). There will probably be quite a few RPGs.

Racing:
    Depends what you want. Simulators? There is a lack. Right now, the selection includes the game Cars (designed for kids), a crappy 4x4 game (also for kids), a cel-shaded racer (which I hear is decent), Need For Speed Carbon (you know about NFS I assume), and Excite Truck (AWESOME game, but very arcadey).

If you like arcade-style racers, you'll love Excite Truck. I've already beaten every track with an S ranking and unlocked hard mode, I love this game.
    If you want a simulator like Gran Turismo or Forza, you're stuck for now.

Remember, the system just launched. Compared to the 360 launch and PS3 launch the Wii has a ton of good titles. By this time next year expect to see every genre represented.

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Everyone else answered, so I'm just going to ramble.

I love my Wii, it's such a blast all around. It's by far one of the greatest game systems to date IMO. :)

Wii elbow is worth it.

<]=)

6. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Everyone else already did a pretty good job answering but what does one more answer hurt?

1. Sure
    2. The Xbox 360 currently gives the best bang for your buck of any system but I still bought a Wii because it is really fun with the motion control. The graphics of a 360 aren't much better on an SDTV but on an HDTV it owns the Wii.
    3. The Wii comes with 1 Wiimote and 1 Nunchuck attachment. It can support up to 4 Wiimotes ($40 each) and 4 Nunchucks ($20 each).
    4. In my opinion, the best games so far for 360 right now are:

Gears of War (Shooter)
    Oblivion (RPG)
    CoD 2 (Shooter)
    Rainbow 6 Vegas (Shooter)
    Fear (Shooter)
    Viva Pinata (Strategy)
    Prey (Shooter).
    Fight Night Round Three (Sports)
    Burnout Revenge (Racing)

As you mentioned, Halo 3 (Shooter) will probably be awesome too...

I'm sure you notice the trend, the 360 has a ridiculous amount of good FPS games...

The best game for Wii is Zelda TP (Adventure/RPG). Other decent games for Wii include:

Rayman Raving Rabbids (Party Mini Games)
    Excite Truck (Racing)
    Call of Duty 3 (Shooter)
    Madden NFL ’07 (Sports)
    Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Simulation)
    Far Cry: Vengeance (Shooter)
    Red Steel (Shooter)
    Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Double Agent (Shooter)

Future games for the Wii that look interesting that I have heard about include:

Elebits (???)
    WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Party Mini Games)
    Super Mario Galaxy (Platformer)
    Super Paper Mario (Platformer)
    Bleach Wii (Fighting)
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Adventure/Shooter)
    Disaster (???)
    Fire Emblem (RPG)
    Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Adventure Horror/Shooter)
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (RPG)

7. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I hope to get the Wii when it comes out here in Aus, we shall see.

I went to the local shops for lunch today and witnessed the 360 in HD on a Sony $6k AUS LCD screen. holy smoke.... I stood there and just watched it play it's demo for about 10 minutes. the detail was just crazy good

cant say anything about wii until they hit our shores.. in a week.

8. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

So far, the graphics don't look much better than game cube games (although it is supposed to be more powerful than the original Xbox) but the Wii is all about the gameplay. In short, the graphics don't matter because you are too busy having fun to notice...

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Don't get a 360 without a HDTV. I played GoW on my brothers 360 in 480i, 4:3 CRT TV with built in speakers and I just left saying "is that it?". Whereas folk playing it on HDTV's say it's the second coming, though short, with repetitive recycled gameplay :rolleyes:
    sorry.

Get a Wii now. Get a 360 when you get a HDTV. Life will be happy.

10. mcarvin macrumors regular

It's strange though. There are parts of Red Steel (I'm about 50% through) which look positively gorgeous, then you turn a corner and it looks like a corridor was rendered on a PSone. Rayman generally looks better than any of my GCN games, with the exception of Metroid Prime 2. In the end, I think we'll see games that surpass XBox quality - but still fall well short of XB360 quality - in 6 months or so. From what I've read, Zelda makes the case for that kind of graphic potential which I hope we see in SSB:Brawl, MP3:Corruption and the new Resident Evil.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What's absolutely ironic is that TP is just a Gamecube game and Nintendo said that even TP doesn't push the Gamecube to its limits.

I suspect we will be seeing some very nice stuff on the Wii. I always thought developers would take to the Wii and bring out the good looking stuff already, but as TP shows we're only scratching the surface still. Very interested to see what comes from the Wii in the future.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I agree with others, fun is what really makes a Wii. :)

Considering the XBox uses a GeForce 3 and a P3/Celeron Hybrid, the Wii won't have a problem laying on the purdy with its modern GPU and beefed up PowerPC. I've mentioned this in other threads, but given the Hollywood's timeframe, it's most likely based on a x1xxx series GPU.

Most developers that abandoned the Cube, are basically starting on the Wii where they had left off. This is my thought of why some games look like older PS2 and Cube games, which are basically crap compared to later games on either system. I figure Metroid Chaos will be the first Wii game to really show other developers what can be done, since Retro Studios has a clue.

The first generation of X360 games really didn't do it justice, and the same will probably be said about the PS3. If you look at the PS2, it took about 3 years or so, before developers finally got a handle on it.

If you have a HD and get a Wii, definitely buy the component cables. There's a big difference in quality for the games that support 480p.

I'm a broken record on the following subject;
    How can you peeps tolerate using a thumb-stick for a FPS? For me it's one of the worst abominations to happen to that genre of game. Halo was way easier on the hardest level on my PC with a mouse and keyboard, than it was on a XBox with its horrid controller. I've noticed that console FPS games are generally dumbed down quite a bit to allow the user time to respond, because of the cumbersomely slow controls. :eek:

<]=)

13. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

is this a fact? is this a general consensus? i am really scared of buying a wii and not liking the graphics. got hdtv, and would i really notice the pixels and the "lower" quality?

14. KipCoon macrumors regular

KipCoon

Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii....!

Not only is it more fun but the innuendo that ensues is priceless!!!!

IGN, Ebgames, most sites liek those will have listings of games coming out for the Wii...

15. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Definitely grab a Wii. While I have a 360 and love it, a Wii seems like it would fit your lifestyle very well.

It's really not that hard… and they're not 'dumbed down.' *shakes head*

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'll take you in CounterStrike Source. ;P

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The impression I had playing Red Steel is that it has very good graphics technically, great lighting, bloom, etc., but terribly art design and textures.

It's actually true; console FPS tend to be easier than PC FPS because PC players can easily pull off successive headshots and pull a 180 degree spin in half a second.

It's a fact...I have only had one person point out graphics, out of the 16+ people I've had try the Wii, and even he didn't mind it that much.

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I've gotten used to it, but I've never liked it. It's really a poor substitute when compared to the absolute speed and precision a mouse and keyboard offer for this type of game.

Here's just one example; When you walk into a room and the enemy to your right pauses long enough for you to aim with the tedious-thumb-stick, the game has been dumbed down. ;)

<]=)

19. jruc4871 macrumors regular

i just played Wii sports on a 50" plasma without component cables.

It looked great. Seems to me that some people are too obsessed with pixels to have fun.

20. risc macrumors 68030

risc

People obviously have different opinions I've seen a Wii on a huge display and to be honest it looked horrible. I'm not talking about the style of the graphics either Wii sports looked kind of weird but cool, it has a nice style to it. I am talking about a horrible pixelated interlaced picture on a display that is made for progressive scan.

IMHO the Wii should ship with component cables.

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

That's just costing Nintendo more money for something that more than half of their customers are going to toss in a dark corner.

What they SHOULD have done was make sure there were plenty of component cables on the shelf for the people who DID need them.

22. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Some people must have really OLD TVs then. Component video has been around as long as DVD. :rolleyes:

Even on a SDTV if you have component inputs the picture is going to look amazing compared to composite video.

23. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

why has nobody referred you to nintendo's website? That is the place to find all the games that are coming and the information for what exactly is in the box with the wii.

24. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, that was pretty much my first experience with the Wii. Composite on a 50"+/- TV.

And as far as bundling component with the Wii, I really just wish they'd done a cable like what MS did with the 360 Premium Bundle; the standard composite + component all on one cable.

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's still a better business decision to go with the solution that will function for the majority of the customers, and make a secondary solution optional.

I mean, only one of three TVs in our house has component video inputs, and all three of them are less than 6 years old.