should i buy a wii

Discussion in 'Games' started by dylan6950204, Jan 8, 2007.

1. dylan6950204 macrumors member

dylan6950204

i have about 550 dallors to spend and being my age all i want to do is play games i was going to get a computer but i thought a new game consol would be better so i wanted an xbox 360 but my mom says that is to expencive but i can get a wii so i was wondering if the wii will be what i am looking for.i love sport games mostly football and i also like firt person shoter those r the only games i realy bother with and i always am playing those games like halo and nfl 07 on line will i get a good experience with first person shooters and football games on the wii.and i also like rule playing games so if that helps u help me.

also i am always open to a conputer that can play wow well and is under 550$ with out a monitor.

PLEASE HELP

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

seriously you like Halo and FPS and sports games. A 360 would be a better choice and is easily within your budget.

Wii's a great system but for FPS games - it hasnt proven itself with very average titles like COD3, RedSteel and the ugly FarCry.

The 360 excels in that field with some great games available, like COD2/3 Gears of War, Condemned, F.E.A.R etc..... and it also has a full gamut of sports titles also. Both from the 2k sports series and EA's catalogue.

Also WOW is rumored to be heading to 360 this year too.

Wii is a great machine, but just not sure its the best for your needs.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The fact that you even mentioned Halo probably means you should get a Xbox 360. Sounds like its game library is much more in tune to what you like. The Wii is fantastic any day of the week, but has a very different selection of games available.

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

WoW is also rumored to be coming to the PS3 :D I know you didnt say it was an exclusive but a Blizzard company rep admits to talking to both Sony and M$.

"Sams did not rule out the possibility of World of warcraft coming to consoles. "We've met with Microsoft, we've met with Sony, and we are exploring these things, but the list of challenges is long,""

I have a Wii and i love it, but if there is a game that is multi-platform i will buy it for my PS3. The only exception to that rule was Madden 07 as the Wiimote makes gameplay a lot of fun. I just hope next year's will have improved graphics, it still looked "cube'ish". Elebits was awesome down to the last level, Red Steel is the best FPS for the system right now imho. The negative reviews for Red Steel either come from people that never got to know the controls or were looking for 360/PS3 level graphics.

Good luck in your decision.

Ed

5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'd recommend a 360 but it's up to you ultimately :D

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sounds like you want a 360!

Tell you what though... after my first few days I'm finding it very hard to go back to normal gaming. Shigsy was sorta right there! Tried playing Windwaker before and I kept waving the controller about like a madman. But get a 360. It sounds like it has the games you're after!

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I love my Wii....but 360 might be your system, I'm sure either one would be fun for you.

I had some friends over and I brought down my TV so we could be playing more then other system. We has N64, xBox 360 and Wii there. We turned on Wii and xBox 360. 360 had GoW, possibly the best game on the 360. The Wii had Raymen in it. 2 people started playing GoW, and the four others were going to switch around in Raymen.

It ended up all of us LOVING Rayman....it was tons of fun. I'm not saying GoW is worse then Rayman, but if you have lots of people playing with out Wii wins hands down.

As for Red Steel and Call of Duty 3...I'm loving them. The controls are so fun. Sport games... I love Madden, but I've nevered liked Madden before. Some of my other friends who like Madden on PS3/xBox 360/PS2/xBox/Gamecube didn't like it as much...take that for what you want.

8. dylan6950204 thread starter macrumors member

dylan6950204

i no i want a 360

i realy want a 360 but my mom thinks that is way to much to spend on a game system and thinks that a conputer would be way more "benifitial" but like i want to get my game on.so if u have anyways to convine her to let me buy one or one of u will sell me one for cheap it would be great but i know no one is going to sell me one so i need sugestions to convince my mom to leting me buy one. but also if any one has any good links to conputers that r good enoph to play wow and i can get for 550 with out the monitor i am cool with that to. thanks

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well its not like the Wii is much cheaper either :rolleyes: just tell her a 360 has much more games to play than a computer, besides, a World of Warcraft subscription is quite expensive, in fact, it would probably be more expensive in the long term than a 360 and a good supply of games.

You should convince your mom to let you get a 360 as that seems like the console you want, world of warcraft is not even that good of a game and with a 550 computer you won't be playing much else either.

Or you could just get a PS2 :p

10. dylan6950204 thread starter macrumors member

dylan6950204

i just talked to my mom and tried all those good points but she is still strick so now i need a good computer up to about 700 so if u can elp me that way its appriciated

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

How old are you? If you are still in school a computer will help you immensely over a game console. By the sounds of it you are still young, get a PC, buy WoW and have fun. WoW's requirements aren't too high, my Radeon 9250 plays it just fine, finding a lower end PC that can do academic items and still satisfy the gamer in you shouldn't be too hard to come by. Yea i know, its not as fun as a console, life isn't fair.. get used to it :p

Ed

12. dylan6950204 thread starter macrumors member

dylan6950204

yeah i am 14 i want a computer (mac) that plays wii that is between 500 and 700 usd but i havnt had any luck

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I think you should be able to find a G4 Mac Mini for around that price range. You probably can get wifi/SD/1GB ram too considering a G4 1.4 1GB/SD/AP ran around 700 new. The G4 mini can play WoW fine and at the same time be an aid to your education. I hate to sound cliche but your education is what will buy you the good stuff in the future :)

Edit: there are plenty in your price range on ebay http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...le=G4+mac+mini&category0=&submitSearch=Search You can also try to post a WTB on the marketplace here, PM me if you need some help.

Ed

14. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You can get a brand new 1.66Mhz Core Duo Mini for $600... however that's before tax and you still need a monitor (and keyboard and mouse, but those are cheap). I don't know how the GMA 950 compares to whatever graphics card came in the G4 Mini.

14 without a computer this day and age? :) A computer would be infinitely more valuable than a video game console.

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It came with a Radeon 9250 or something along those lines :) Enough to play WoW and still be a viable machine for academics.

Graphics ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM with AGP 4X support (Dedicated DDR, not Shared)

http://support.apple.com/specs/macmini/Mac_mini_orig.html

Ed

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I would get a Mini over a Wii for your sake, but definately a Wii over a 360.

Just to contradict MRU; ;) :)

The Wii has proven itself the king of sports games for this generation. Madden on the Wii is by far the most fun to play. The Wii's controlls are the key and no level of thumb-twidling can compare on a 360.

For shooters, a 360's horrid controlls simply can not compare to the Wii's setup, nor the mouse and keyboard setup you'll have on a Mini. The only advantage the 360 really has here, is just a year head start to build up a better collection of games. But the Wii will have its share of great FPS games, especially since its controls lend themselves so naturally to this genre. Metroid 3 is coming in a few months. This is a series of shooters that I personally like way better than the Halo series.

But go with a Mini. That's worth the extra cost in the long run and it will pay for itself in usefulness. Just install BootCamp and you'll have access to the PC's massive collection of FPS, which offer "free" online play. Also games like WC3 and Dota, which you play for free on BattleNet. ~i~ AhHhhhhhhh.

<]=)

17. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

DO NOT PLAY WOW. get a wii. hang out with ppl instead of via a screen. trust me

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:rolleyes:

The GMA950 in the mac mini may make some games unplayable. Whilst others will be ok, but in order to really play a game with anything with a GMA chipset you need to bolster the memory and upgrade it to 2gb for max noticeable peformance in games.

But thats going to set you back at least another couple of hundred dolllars.

A mini with 512mb ram and a GMA950 is a nice computer but not really great for gaming.

+ if he wants bootcamp he'll have to shell out even more $$$ for a copy of windows.

Could end up costing a lot to maximize the mini's gaming peformance.

A cheaper PC might be better than a mini but then your not getting an apple, so I guess poster needs to prioritize and work out what he wants more.

A games system or a cheap apple computer.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Don't have a computer? Get a mini.
    Have a computer? Get a console.
    Like playing sports games? Get a Wii.
    Like playing online or single player games? Get a 360.

20. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Should you buy a wii should be changed to "can." I can't find the Wii anywhere! *tear

21. dylan6950204 thread starter macrumors member

dylan6950204

o dude i have two computers on my desk just not what i want becuse one is an imac that is like 5 or 6 years old and the outher like 5 or 6 year old imac and neathier can play wow

22. dylan6950204 thread starter macrumors member

dylan6950204

ok this may sound like a stupid qestion but like can u play all the wii games on like a regular controler without moving ur hands all around?

23. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

No, all Wii games are all meant for motion control for now. I have heard that SSBB will use the classic controller, but thats just a rumor.

Ed

24. dylan6950204 thread starter macrumors member

dylan6950204

ok this may sound like a stupid qestion but like can u play all the wii games on like a regular controler without moving ur hands all around?

25. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

SSBB will use the GC controller. The other Wii games available use the unique motion and pointing features of the Wiimote (and the nunchuck attachment) so it would be impossible to use something else to play them. But they don't all require you to stand up and jump around like Wii Sports. :) Zelda for example allows you to be pretty lazy, and Excite Truck doesn't require a huge amount of movement either.

I guess what it comes down to is, will you benefit from a new computer aside from being able to play some newer games on it? If not, then it might be a better idea to get a console that will last for a much longer time.