Should I buy an iMac 20"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ayria, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Ayria macrumors member

Ayria

I am seriously considering buying an iMac 20" as i do a lot of work in PS CS2 and also a fair amount of coding in php and ajax for online web application development.

I have been a windows user from the DOS years! And have never touched a MAC until 3 weeks ago. I thought Windows was all that really mattered. However I have grown so tired of the bugs and virus and trojans and hackers and...

It seems to have good specs. I have some quick q's...

1. Does anyone have any experience with them. Are their heat problems at all with the motherboard and moinitor all in one sealed unt?

2. I also need to run some windows apps that have no eq on Macs. Does Parralles really work as good as they say it does?

I am happy to take any advice...

(I feel kinda excited at the propect of deserting the world of windows - it is like i have been eating cold beans for 15 years and now i want some smarties with a toping of innovation. Apple Inc are certainly innovative - the iPhone sold me on the company! I watched the complete video of over an hour!)

Cheers

Ayria :apple:

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

First off, congrats on the switch; once you join the club, you'll never look back :D
    If there were, you would have heard about them; people are very vocal when complaining about Apple's products, but quiet in praise :)

My cousin has a G5 20" iMac, and it's pretty cool; i never really notice the fan, and the case isn't hot.
    Parallels should work for what you need. What kind of programs do you use? People here might be able to point out some similar programs for you :)

3. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

None that I have noticed or heard about

No idea. Windows?

Buy the imac! They really are beautiful machines.. fast too. The only thing is that you should bear in mind that PS CS2 is not native. That said, PS CS3 is available as a beta.

cold baked beans... then smarties? yuck! I recommend a diet with more fresh fruit and vegetables.:D

YT

4. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

Yes. When you have it in full-screen mode, you will basically not be able to tell the difference between your machine and a Dell (besides the stunning beauty, of course :cool: ). It will become a Windows XP desktop, just like your old machine. You get the best of both worlds.

Out of curiosity, what are the apps that you are trying to run in Windows? When I first switched a few years ago, I had no idea that there were Mac versions of software I already owned. So make sure you find out for sure before you go and spend $80 on Parallels and a another $250-$300 on Windows XP.

5. Ayria thread starter macrumors member

Ayria

Thanks...

I am using Photoshop CS 2 mainly for graphic design for the web. (I dont want to go and buy another PS if i can help it!! It is an expensive app ;-()

I gues i can replace MS Office with something else...any good suggestions?

I also use FruityLoops for mixing and music generation - is their a Mac equivelent besides Garage Band?

Also Adobe Audition?

Also the odd strategy game - nothing like doom or anything else requiring taxing 3D action, but more like Heroes 5 or Civ IV

Thanks

Ayria :apple:

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

yeah not a great time to buy CS for Mac... it will be faster in Windows and CS3 is just around the corner.

Again, Office 2007 for Mac is going to be released soon, so stick with the Windows equivalent for the time being.

For this kind of treatment, Parallels won't work too well; i believe it doesn't have much in the way of graphics support. (if i'm wrong, please tell me!). I think there are Mac versions of those games, anyway :)

7. lgelosi macrumors newbie

I bought my iMac 20" two months ago. It's a great machine I use it a lot and never experienced any heating problem.

I use Boot Camp when I really need Windows (actually, very rarely). A little bit tricky, but just need to get used with it (and the beta version is downloadable free of charge). Just be sure that you don't any any wireless device because they will not work under Boot Camp (or, at least, my wireless MM doesn't work)...

8. Ayria thread starter macrumors member

Ayria

Thanks for that - i was just wondering as there is a screen, powersupply and motherboard all locked up in that pretty case...

I will be purchasing mine in about 3-4 weeks (cant wait :p :apple: )

Ayria