Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
My coworker is thinking of selling her 1st gen iPad mini for $100. I recently sold my MBP and just have a Mac mini so not having any portable devices (other than iPhone) is taking some getting used to. I think I now see the point of having a mini when just sitting around the living room or doing something in the kitchen.

My question is, is there anything I should be cautious about buying this version? Like slow performance or anything like that? Would the next gen be maybe just a little bit more? I'm usually reluctant buying used iDevices because I'm worried they've had a broken screen replaced with a cheap knock off. AFAIK, she's never had any issues with this one and takes pretty good care of her electronics.

c55

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
I have a first generation Mini, it's still a great device. Runs iOS 8.4 fine. Just one word of caution, the screen quality is awful. but I guess I'm spoiled with my iPad Mini 2 with Retina.

For $100 it's a good buy. I would personally spend $100 for a Mini 2 with Retina and the faster processor. But all you're looking for is a device to use leisurely, it should make the cut.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I've never really thought of owning a mini so I don't know their going rates, but do you mean spend just $100 on the mini 2 or an extra $100 for a total of $200?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm pretty sure @c55 means an additional $100 to get an iPad mini 2. $200 would be about right (not a great deal, not a terrible one) for the low end mini 2. $100 for a first gen, though? I could think of a ton of ways to use that productively. I say you go for it. Worst case, you should be able to recoup most/all of your costs if you don't like it.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Not worth it. The first gen mini hardware is equal to the iPad 2. Save your money and at least buy a Mini 2 Retina.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
At that price it's a tough choice, but waiting just a couple more weeks for iPad deals is probably the best option, considering the iPad Mini 2 will (most likely) be able to run at least 2 more versions of iOS than the iPad Mini 1, which is just about to be discontinued.

GaryNoine

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2015
Atlanta
Having a friend with the first generation mini, I can say the current iOS runs smoothly; however, you'll find many problems using new apps or apps that have been updated recently. For example, the new Angry Birds 2 works great on my Mini 2, but on the first Mini it constantly crashes. This will occur more and more as apps progress. With iOS 9, I can't imaging how much slower these A5 devices will get. My advice, just invest in a Mini 2 if you can

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I've noticed I'm not really using the mini as much as I used to use my MBP. I think it's because I'd rather not sit in an uncomfortable chair just to look up stuff on IMDb, although I guess I can use my iPhone.

She said it also comes with a magnetic case that puts it to sleep. I didn't ask the color.

I could also use it as an iBook reader. If it was more I'd definitely say no. Less I wouldn't think twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.