Should I buy an iPod 15gb or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by matthewamzn, Jun 29, 2004.

1. matthewamzn macrumors member

I'm ready to buy my first iPod. I was going to go for the 15gb version, until I read Mac Rumor's buying advice. It said I should wait until an updated version comes out. Should I wait? How long will it take for the new ones to come out?
    Also, does anyone jog with their iPod? Any problems?

2. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

Wait

Well thats my opinion. I have the 15gb and honestly I like it less then my 2G 10gb one. Why? Simply because the buttons are to sensitive, they react to virtually no touch at all. Now you may think thats a good thing but when you have it in your back pocket its annoying when the song keeps moving forward, pausing, rewinding, etc. The 2G had just enough resistance that avoided this, and no putting the switch to hold is not a solution.

3. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I have the 15 and love it. Its far more than enough space to hold whatever music I may need at the gym, commuting to work, or on a trip. Its fast, good battery and easy to use. I do not have the button issue, although others that use mine do. Must be different skin sensitivity.

There will always be a better one around the corner, but it does all that you need it do now- then go for it.

4. Apmonia macrumors regular

While the 15GB is nice, I would recommend the iPod mini. First of all if you are expecting to jog with it, the mini is just that much smaller to make all the difference. Second, the mini might only hold 4GB, but it seems a lot easier to find songs and sift through a massive amount of songs. Lastly, the mini feels like it is built better than the 3G units.

I had the 15GB and sold it for the mini once I actually was able to use the mini an extended period of time (a friend of mine bought one). The mini is a far superior player than the 15GB. It would also help with the decision to wait or not, since they haven't even released the mini's in Europe yet, they shouldn't be updating them any time soon. The only problem would be finding one. I hope this helps.

Apmonia

5. matthewamzn thread starter macrumors member

Just Bought the 15gb

Just placed an order for the 15gb ipod. I'm in Canada, so the mini wasn't even an option for me. Any suggestions on a good arm band holder or belt holder?

6. matthewamzn thread starter macrumors member

Just Bought the 15gb

Just placed an order for the 15gb ipod. I'm in Canada, so the mini wasn't even an option for me. Any suggestions on a good arm band holder or belt holder?

7. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

as actripxl mentioned, I also do feel QUITE annoyed with these tedious touch sensative controls. (I have become dependent on my remote control thing) In my opinion, although it may not be an option, the 2G ipods were the best. Apple may possibly realize this and make changes like the iPod mini and come out with a new model revision. But since there are no rumors of a new ipod design or release date....

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I just posted a possible iPod - powerbook deal [RUMOR!] that may be coming out in the next week or so. (It's in Buying Tips)

I don't claim to be all-knowing - but I think it makes sense. If you are looking for a powerbook too, it might be good to wait a week or so.