Should I buy anti spyware software?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Learjet035, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Learjet035 macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2005
    S. Floriduh
    I am new to macs and hear that I need not worry about viruses as of now, but how about spyware. My home PC is so bogged down with that junk, don't want my mac to get to the same place. Thanks
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    No you shouldn't. I wasn't even aware that such apps existed for mac. It is not an issue (for the time being...).

Enjoy not having these kinds of problems with your new computer :cool: :D
  3. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2005
    S. Floriduh
    so awesome, that's all I can say. I may chuck this lame Dell and get a G5 for home too.
  4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    like eDesign says.. don't bother! Nor virus checkers. I swear, they slow down your comp anyway and could be compared to a virus themselves. Be free, feel happy you have a fully operational computer without those annoying pop ups and spyware.
  5. dxm113 macrumors member

Jan 22, 2005
    Check out the March 05 issue of Macworld, there is a good article on Mac security. It addresses many security issues such as viruses, spyware, wireless. . . .

so check it out, will likely be great info if you're new to a Mac
  6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
  7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

They don't even make anti-spyware software for the Mac. You can enjoy your Mac free of Spyware:)
  8. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    If spyware apps do exist for Mac, they're a rip off, just feeding on consumer ignorance.
  9. qzak macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2005
    pc spyware

people complain about spyware/virii all the time on the pc. yes, obviously theres tons of them out there, but i've had this home built pc running all day everyday for the last year and never had problems.

i have norton 2005 with the av always on, firewall, all that stuff. i mean come on, the software is out there, instead of complaining about the stuff just protect urself and don't do stupid things like click on ads and let that **** download stuff onto ur pc. hell norton even blocks pictures in emails in outlook express incase they contain virii until u click the little button saying this email is ok.

i'm just saying use a little common sense and the virii/spyware wouldn't be such a huge issue

oh, and yes my desktop is a pc but i'm gettin my first mac (17" pb) sometime in March. i'm doing visual communication design, so just natural to use a mac for that stuff. but as of now i plan on keeping my desktops as pcs.
  10. milzay macrumors member

Dec 31, 2003
    Yea, you should. And while you're at it buy a nuclear shelter and get yourself 12 bodybuilders for protection.
  11. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    I think the problem is that people actually have to get the anti-malware programs to combat the virii and spyware. Many non-tech people don't know how, nor would want, to do these things JUST so they can use their computer they paid hard earned money for. You can't just take an XP system out of the box and think that it's going to survive in the cesspool of the world wide web; whereas with an OS X system, you can.