Should I buy AppleCare to sell my PB to raise funds for a MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amin, May 21, 2006.

1. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Sorry for the convoluted title. I want a MacBook - and a black one at that - pretty badly for some reason I can't figure out.

I am going to have to sell my 10-month old Powerbook (1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Combo drive, 80GB HD). It is the Rev. D model - just before they increased the screen resolution. It is in extremely good condition - just a few minor scratches on the bottom surface, and a tiny dent near the power cord insertion. The dent is not an eyesore like most PB dents are.

Since I am a university staff member, I can buy Apple Care for $239. Will this increase the resale value of my Powerbook by $239? Thanks for any advice.

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

leave it up to the purchasee

Hi,

i don't think applecare would increase the value by its equal cost. in other words, you may lose on it. some folks may like the idea of having applecare, but they can click a few buttons on the apple store, before 2 months (1 year) is up.

i wouldn't do it.

good luck,
    keebler

3. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

Thanks for the advice Keebler. Are you sure the person who purchases it can add Apple Care to a laptop that they did not purchase originally?

4. iamhammill macrumors 6502

iamhammill

I bought AppleCare last week for a PowerBook that I was not the original owner of.

I called AppleCare the other day to see if everything went through ok and they assured me that it's covered now.

Jake

5. munckee macrumors 65816

I agree, it won't raise the price by $240. Don't bother.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Keep you PowerBook. But if you do sell it don't buy Apple Care it would not be worth it