Should I buy imac G5 if price comes down?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nph, Jan 21, 2006.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

Or do you think iMac intel is better?

I have an old LCD 800MHz imac today that is starting to show its age. I think the latest imac would be a good fit, since I use iLife a lot.
    Photos and video of my little son!

However I expected the imac G5 to drop in price when the intel version was announced. I had made up my mind to get one. That has still not happened.
    So what do you think is the best buy today, getting the new intel imac or wait and hope for a sale of the imac G5?

/Peter

2. iGary Guest

iGary

You waited for the price of new technology to go down?

3. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

he's referring to the iMac G5, not the Intel iMac I believe. It would have made sense for the Intel iMac's release to prompt a price drop for the iMac G5.

4. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Go to Ebay, they sell for like 700-1000. If not, then find it in the for sale forum here.

5. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I think it is best to go with the new technology, though I am sure Apple is not going to just stop supporting the millions of users out there with PPC. Still, if you are spending that much money as it is, you might as well spend a bit more to get the newest tech.

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

The prices of the iMac G5's have already gone down substantially, if you can find a good deal on a refurb, if you arent interested in the iSight and FrontRow then have a look for a refurb Rev.B,

shadow

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah if you're on a tight budget - a iMac G5 is still a good machine and will definitely put a smile on your face after using that iMac 800. :D