should i buy isight?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by abhishekit, Jan 21, 2004.

1. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

i am thinking of buying isight though i am not sure about one thing..
    can i audio chat on yahoo messenger with a pc(pc would be at the other end) using isight??
    because right now there is no audio
    option in my messenger..only the video option..and i guess i haev the latest version of ym..
    i would appreciate any help..
    thanks

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I don't think that Yahoo does audio chat, and it is just a webcam broadcast that auto-refreshes. Not even 2 way! So when your PC friends tell you they've had video chat for years, laugh at them!

3. Engagebot macrumors regular

You can only iSight video chat with other iChat users. windows AIM does not support iSight, nor does MSN messenger or yahoo. MSN and yahoo support webcams to an extent, but iSight is a whole 'nother thing.

Thats why iSights dont really sell too well (correction: they dont sell very well to people who know what they're compatible with)

So unless you know tons of other people using iChat, the iSight is going to just collect dust perched on your monitor.

If this wasnt the case, I'd buy an iSight today...

Supposedly Apple is working with AOL to get the Windows AIM client up to spec for the transmission, but we dont really know.

4. myrt macrumors newbie

I'd go ahead and get the iSight if I were you, it's a decent webcam.

5. abhishekit thread starter macrumors 65816

abhishekit

well my family uses windows...so i guess i wd refrain from buying isight till it gets compatible with msn or yahoo..

6. Engagebot macrumors regular

yeah, my girlfriend is the only mac user i would chat with, and she lives in the same apartment building, so iSight wouldnt be all that cool...