Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ClarkeB, Feb 9, 2005.

1. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

not a bad price but remember the LOGIC BOARD ISSUES with the iBook G3

3. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

I agree. There were issues about the logic board w/ iBook G3. And I wouldn't spend over $200 for any G3! What are you going to use it for? Presentations? Documents? Music? Movies on the go?

Get a pre-owned 12" G4 instead. whw5 wants to sell his 12" PB 1.33 Ghz so he can get a mini or G5 iMac. Contact him for pricing (?). Or look at ebay for rev A G4 power books.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109434

4. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I wouldn't buy that.

It's only 600MHZ, only has 128MB ram so you'd need to upgrade that for decent OS X performance.

Plus it looks like it doesn't come with Panther...

... and as the other person mentioned, there were issues with logic boards in some of those iBooks.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Doesn't the logic board recall cover second-hand owners? I think $650 is too too much for this computer, but it is a very useable computer, which might be more compelling at something in the $450-500 range. If you shop around and you are willing to buy direct from another user, I think you can get a G4/800 iBook for not much more than this....

I think <$200 is unrealistic...given how usable OS X remains on older computers, the snow iBook G3s have a history of very good resale value.

Oooh, should note, it looks like it doesn't have an airport card, so that would cost another $60-70 and is a must-have....

6. ClarkeB thread starter macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

I just want it for on the go use, maybe DVD playback, iTunes, possibly light iWork...

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not worth it... save your money until you can get the baseline iBook, maybe at edu pricing?, or a refurb... $650 for a more than 2 year old iBook G3 is NOT a good price...

8. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Now now, the logic board problems were in all ibook g3's. If you want to order it, get the seriel number first and check it against the logic board extension program on apples site to see if it's one of the bad ones