should i buy kotor?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sirga, Jan 4, 2006.

1. sirga macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I have a new ibook 12'' G4 with 512 ram and ati radeon 32 megs and i want to know if it can run kotor! i saw contrasting opinions in the internet, and even my mac meets the requirements for the game, i'm not really sure if it's playable....any suggestion?thanks a million!

2. aznspyder macrumors member

I have the exact same iBook, except with 1gb of RAM. KOTOR is playable with all settings on low, but expect some very annoying slowdowns on certain levels. I'm not sure how it will perform with 512mb of RAM, but I'd really consider upgrading.

3. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

kotor is a great game, but not for mac

this game would have to be one of the worst optimezed games for mac ive ever seen. its a great game but it runs like crap on my mac, much much worse than my brothers PC (3.0Ghz 512 ram geforce 5200). most games run almost the exact same between my pwerbook and his toshiba.

4. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Yeah, I have KOTOR for my Powerbook 1.25 + 1.25gb ram but ran so choppy I decided its not worth my time.

The fact that the in-game cutscenes would slow down to the point where the person talking wasn't in frame... well, I just gave up.

Sad, as I'm a huge SW fan. :(

5. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Definately buy it! I played this game first time on the eMac in my sig and I enjoyed it!

I dont suggest you to set settings to the minimum, cuz I didnt notice any performance difference after going from min to max in texture quality on my eMac. Shadows and Grass do slow down computer.

Awesome game! I wish Apsyr ported Kotor2 to Mac!! :D

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I bought it about a month ago and run it on the PB in my sig. While it has been a bit choppy in places (and I had a few other problems, which were fixed by getting the patch) I have still/still am having a good time with it. Not sure how it will go on your iBook though.

8. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Oh? Update? Hmm, I should check that out. I didn't update the app before giving up (silly in retrospect). It was just unplayable for me. Maybe its the larger Gfx card on the later powerbooks?

...xPismo goes digging for his KoToR disc.

9. luna crescent macrumors member

Don't worry, I played Kotor on my ibook g3 900 mhz with 640 mb ram. It did slow down a lot but it was playable and definately enjoyable. I beat the game 3 times on my bad ibook.

10. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Good game, but not a Star Wars game.

At no point playing KOTOR on my xBox did i feel like it was a Star Wars game, and after i was forced to become a certain type of Star Wars charecter, (no need to guess) i felt it wa no longer a great RPG - just a good one.

11. Boelman macrumors regular

12. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

Because of this, I don't even really consider it an RPG, because it's not open-ended at all. True there are SOME decisions you make, but for the most part it's like an adventure game, with some D&D-styled combat.

13. katchow macrumors 6502

I don't know of too many that don't follow along a set storyline. Heck in the old rpgs there was no control on how your character looked or how your personality developed.

The only thing that bugged me about this game was that people never really reacted as negatively as they should have when you respond w/ something completely rude.

14. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

15. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Feels odd to quote myself, but herego's.

I DO NOT WANT TO BECOME A JEDI

:mad:

AN RPG means that if i want to play the game as a Wookie then i can, i gain advantages over a Jedi as a Wookie but there are also disadvantages.

This means i can choose to play the game again, this time as a Jedi and see how different the game plays.

If i can do this with the Star Wars roleplaying game, why can't i do it with the electronic version?

:confused:

Righty-), calmed down now!

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You did'nt listen attentively to the Council members on Dantooine. They said that you should be trained in the ways of the Jedi to be able to resist darkness within yourself. Master Vendar: "Otherwise you are doomed to fail"

:)

I love StarWars mainly for the Jedi. I played Battlefront (you play as a common soldier with no storyline) it was not very exciting :(

17. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

Well, I for one would love to see a Star Wars game besides Battlefront that doesn't focus on Jedi. Like a Morrowind-type game in the Star Wars universe would be glorious.

And Kotor II allows more "roleplaying" opportunities, yes. I liked it much better.

18. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Best game ever IMO

KOTOR was the single greatest game I've ever played...

but I played it on Xbox..twice, and I'm playing KOTOR two for the second go around right now on the Xbox.

It's not a totally immersive RPG with open ended-ness. But it is an amazing alternative view of the Star Wars universe.

man i love that game.

but on the iBook ? my guess is that it would run kinda sloppy.

19. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Try Galaxies.... (but its PC only... better be able to run some Windoze on that MacBook Pro....)

20. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

To answer the main question though....

KOTOR is one of the best games I have ever played. It should be fun for both SW fans and non-fans alike. I have basically the same iBook as you (little more RAM) and I don't know about playing it. I tryed it and gave up after a week. I got annoyed with all the slow downs but I did get stuck in the game. A couple months later my parents bought a 2.0Ghz G5 iMac and it worked much better on that system. It's playable....but you might lose some enjoyment becuase of the sucky preformance. I would go to at least 1GB of RAM before trying it. But the game will work on your current set-up.

21. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

True, KOTOR LOVES RAM. I once played about 3-4 hours straight with no apps in the background and had 120000+ page outs on my iMac (see sig) :eek:

22. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I would have prefered it if the damn council members were programmed by Bioware to say something else.

Can't remember what i traded KOTOR in for, think it was a copy of Halo 2 for my GF's brothers.

Good deal.

23. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Personally, I felt like it was more a true Star Wars game than perhaps any others I've ever played (and I've played most of them), other than maybe the Dark Forces series. Even the games based on the movies didn't leave me feeling as much a part of the Star Wars universe as KOTOR did.

With all of this KOTOR talk, I'm thinking about buying it for my iBook now. It's the same 1.33 GhZ with a 12" screen, but I've got the RAM maxed out, so hopefully it'll do OK.

24. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Well, I take it all back. Ran the updater (like I should have before) and the game totally rocks. First D&D based game I've played and i dig it. At the moment I'm getting my a$$ handed to me by the sith base boss (a dark jedi) so its back to the walkthrought I found here:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/starwarskotor/locations/tarissithbase.php

Anyway. I highly recomment KoToR now. :D