Should I buy more RAM or upgrade to TIGER?!?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yOyOYoo, Jun 18, 2005.

1. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

I have a 12" PB 1.5 Ghz superdrive 512mb RAM

POLL: should I spend my money now to get:

1. a 512MB stick of RAM
    2. upgrade to TIGER

what should I do?? I do wish my powerbook would run faster and would have less of the "spinning beach ball" when I run through itunes and iphoto, but if I upgraded to TIGER, would it make my computer run more efficiently?

2. Omen88 macrumors regular

Omen88

I didn't notice any speed gains when switching from Panther to Tiger. So it's either slightly better performance or new features for your :)

Personally I'd go for Tiger. Price of memory will always go down, as the price for Tiger will still be the same next year.

3. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

I'm not very sure, but doesn't a 12" PB have 256mb RAM soldered on the mobo. If this is the case. I can only think of you having 256 on the mobo and 256 on a stick, and since the 12" has only 1 memory slot you'd have to remove the 256 stick. <again, i'm not into all pb configuration, but this is my idea>

So Get tiger, because buying a 512 stick, will only enhance your memory by 256.

4. Omen88 macrumors regular

Omen88

You're right
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/stats/powerbook_g4_1.5_12.html

5. yOyOYoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Tiger it is! Now where can I get it for cheap?!

Also if I get Tiger, do I need to backup my previous mac software or photos or music before installing it??thanks! any way to get a discount since I just purchased my PB in February?

6. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

You needed you have bought your PB in April I think to get the cheap upgrade to Tiger... or alternatively if you are a student - grab the EDUC price!
    I'd be getting both!

Tiger is great, and Tiger (as did Panther) loves RAM! I have 1GB RAM in my 17" 1.5GHz PB!

I did backup everything before I installed Tiger - but didn't have any problems... I just put in the disc and upgraded no problems!

I would encourage you to start a backup regime anyway... whether via .Mac or external HDD / DVD / CD options - or BOTH!
    Regardless of upgrades... I now backup anything that I decide I really use / need.

There are alot of people in here who also recommend Repairing Permissions before and after any upgrade.