Should I buy my sister's MBP? For how much?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ahheck01, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

Welp, my sister offering to sell me her MBP, and I want to know two things.

Is it cost effective to purchase this particular one?

What is a fair price to pay for it that wouldn't be ripping her off, but would be a pretty good deal for me?

Specs:

15" Macbook Pro
    2.0Ghz Core Duo
    512MB
    120GB HD
    Single Layer (not positive, but pretty sure)Super Drive
    128MB X1600
    Glossy screen (my preference)
    no extra accessories (just typical - power chord, etc)

Thanks for your input!

:apple: Evan

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i would think around 1300-1400 would be good.

i dunno what other people may think though

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Well, you could get the apple refurb with a full warranty for $1350, so less than that.. probably like $1250, IMO.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

same specs though? i didnt check out apples site

5. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

$1200's sounds good... don't forget to invest into Applecare if it's not too late.

6. EricChunky macrumors regular

I clearly remember here in UK the first MBP didn't arrive until late March last year. So i'm pretty sure he'll need to get AppleCare :p

7. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

So 1250 it is, unless there are suggestions otherwise. How much for applecare? Is it really worth it?

-Evan

8. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

On this version of the MBP, and for Apple portables in general, AC is a good idea. 1250 sounds fair, maybe a bit less 'cause you are siblings (or maybe a bit more if you've got more in the bank than she does!)

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would say probably $1200 - 1250. I have AppleCare on my MBP and I have used it once and I will probably eventually take my MBP back to AppleCare. (They didn't put the case back together right and the battery is fluctuating in capacity again)

10. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

We're both terribly broke! Would you then say 1200 even or even 1150 is better? A guy from arstechnica said this:

I wouldn't go over $1k. Core 1 MBPs suffer particularly from the "rev A" effect, what with the insane heat output, 32-bit CPU, underclocked GPU, single layer superdrive, no FW800, and random whine/buzz issues. The Core 2 MBPs are far better machines, and you can get reburbs for $1600+tax.

thoughts?

-Evan

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm using a CD MBP right now and although I've had a couple problems with it, it's still a great computer, FAR better than my old iBook G4. My MBP doesn't have insane heat output, it is definitely hotter than my old iBook, but not insane. (I use SMCfancontrol and have the fans run at 4000RPM and normal things like web browsing is usually around 110F). I do game a bit and i haven't had a problem with the GPU in any way. The 32-bit CPU does matter to an extent, but the C2D is not that much faster, it is more like a speed bump in G4s or G5s. Dual layer DVDs are very expensive, so 2 single layer DVDs would be better since you say you're broke. FW800 is only needed if you are a video editor or someone who needs fast connections like that, I find FW400 fine for my external hard drive. The whine/buzz is very annoying, but that is fixed by simply opening photobooth and then hiding it, not that big of a deal.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i disagree. i have a cd macbook and my dad has a cd mbp. both have worked great. in fact most people wouldnt reccomend a c2d over a cd if you already had a cd machine as the upgrades arent that significant.