Should I buy Norton Firewall 2.0?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rayneg, Mar 26, 2003.

1. rayneg macrumors newbie

I'm getting a cable internet connection soon. Will turning on Firewall in the "Sharing" control panel be enough? Or should I buy Norton Firewall 2.0? Please advise.

I'm running OS 10.2.3

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Are you goign ot have i hooked up to a router? If so this blocks much of the "hacking" that might go on into dedicated IP adresses. Its your best solution. I wouldn't use a software firewall all but thats jus t me. I think the native jaguar firewall isa version of brckhouse tho if that helps.

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Brickhouse is just a GUI for the native unix firewall built into OSX.

I have had a cable modem for 3 years without a problem. I really don't think the security issue is all that great on a Mac. If you are worried though get a router. It could be a good excuse to get an Airport base station which has a built in firewall. Also you can get a dumb PC and get a smothwall program and set it up between your computer and the cable modem.

There are a lot of options but the best are going to be hardware. The built in unix firewall will work but it's not the best.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Re: Should I buy Norton Firewall 2.0?

Use the built in firewall. Maybe find a freeware GUI that you like to control it.

Basically either norton is just a layer over the builtin fire wall in which case it's a waste of money. Or it's another layer of garbage around Mac OS X which will impede things and be a waste of resources and money.

Yes, I think Norton is a waste of money. Also, what if an OS upgrade breaks Norton? The builtin firewall will still work. Save your money.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Should I buy Norton Firewall 2.0?

All good points. I do believe though that Norton is just another layer of crap and not an interface for the built in unix firewall.