Should I buy Now? Please Help! [G5]

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sigurros, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. sigurros macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2003
    #1
    I'm on Macrumors.com at least 15 times a day looking for the latest news, and have been waiting for the new speed bump updates. Here's my problem:

    I have two 1.6GHZ G5's approved for my classroom and have the check ready to go - only problem is I've been waiting for the alleged new, updated line. Last I hear they were goign to be Dual for the same price.

    My question is should I buy now or wait until the Feb. 2nd rumor I've been hearing about? If I order now, what's the policy...can I return them? Or maybe can I send them back (return to sender, unopened) if new models are announced while mine are on route?

    Please help,...thanks

    -sig
     
  2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

    jelloshotsrule

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2002
    Location:
    serendipity
    #2
    personally i'd wait... now, that said, you're talking about computers for kids to learn on...

    one question to consider is what you'll be doing on the machines? if it's intense enough, then the speed/quality update will be worth the while probably... if it's not intense, then the price will be the main bonus (ie, more bang for your buck with the new ones, or an old one for cheaper)...

    so i guess part of it is how much do you care to save the school (or whoever) money?

    i don't think you could return it once it's shipped without a restocking fee. return to sender unopened might work, but that'd only be in the off chance they announce between when your order ships and when you get it and set it up...

    i'm not sure if feb 2 will do anything, but they pretty well *have* to update them soon, or 3ghz in the summer is a joke...
     
  3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #3
    If you allready approved go buy them, but i would get the 1.8 and save 50 bucks on each machine. I dont know who would want a 1.6 for 1799 when you can still get 1.8 singles for 1749.
     
  4. sigurros thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2003
    #4
    1.8 at 1749?......

    Educational discount puts the 1.6 at $1599 each.....if know where to find the 1.8 for lower or 50 bucks more than that, PLEASE let me know, I'll be all over them.
     
  5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #5
    this was at macmall but the prices were reg retail i dont know if they would sell the 1.8 with ed discount but they might in fact i dont see why they wouldnt.
     

Share This Page