Should I Buy one. And Reccomended Specs.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jman888, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Jman888 macrumors regular

Ok i am SERIOSLY planning on making the Move to Mac from windows. And im sure Osx is awesome (Because ive used it before) And now that there is bootcamp i have a saftey net(Just use windows for my Windows Stuff)
    So i was Considering a Dell Xps before but now im thinking.
    Apple iMac 20" is A good Deal(Kinda)
    and my school just moved to all Imac Intel Core2 2.0 1gb Ram and They are FAST so that alone made me want one but i want to Be able to Play WoW on it So i looked at the 17" And it only had 128mb Graphics Memory Where the 20" Can be upgraded? Whats with that i would like the 256 in the 17" (BTW. Imac Screens Are Gorgeous. I spent 1hour on it and Fell in love with how sharp it was.)
    But i even did Comparison A imac Eqquipped with 2gb Ram for the 17" Is $1500
    But with 20" + Grphx Upgrade $1800 ...
    Is it worth it to get the more graphics memory? I want to be able to run WoW really well so i think its a good idea. But i only have a MAX of $200 extra a month to save. Does apple have any coupons(Like dell?)

2. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Look at the top of this forum. You'll find what you're looking for.

Have no idea about the rest.

yt

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

You can't upgrade the graphics on the 17", you have to buy a 20". If you are in college (if you are - oh gosh, work on the typing just a little!) you can get an Apple Education discount which will lower the price by $150 or so.

4. Jman888 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry about the typing. Im not much of en Enter Person...
    Oh well i just gotta save up. Is the extra 128vram worth it?

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you're really into gaming, then yes the extra VRAM upgrade is worth it.

WoW will run OK on 128 MB VRAM, but so many games will be more and more
    dependant on memory that you're better off in the long run upgrading if you can.

The most important performance gain will come from having 2 GB RAM.

Keep saving if you're not in an immediate rush to buy.

You might also want to watch the refurb pages for deals on 20" and 24" C2D iMacs.

6. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Haha, I was kind of referring to the random capitalization of words and lack of apostrophes, but it's ok. I've seen worse.

If you like to play games, then the extra 128MB is worth it. If you don't play games and never will, then it's not.