Should I buy or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by abirozy, Feb 6, 2008.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    #1
    Hello

    I would like some advice on buying the MBA. I have read all the reviews and feel I would like the MBA. I currently have a toshiba 1.6ghz with 2mb of ram but my wife bought a MB earlier and it runs a lot better and more intuitively than my pc. I feel that even if it is a minor difference due to os and a slightly higher speed, I would like it. I am a law student and the specs on the MBA seem like they would fit me fine. I was thinking of the 1.8 with the HHD. This configuration is available online and is A LOT cheaper than the SSD.

    1) would this be considered a "first gen" model and as such should I wait for the bugs to get worked out?

    2) What is everyones feeling on if mac is quickly going to come out with a more updated MBA with possibly better specs or a lower price?

    I.E. Should I buy the mba now or wait 6 months to make sure the bugs get worked out and see if apple ups the specs?

    Thanks for helping a newbie

    Adam
     
  2. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Location:
    The West Coast
    #2
    If you want it/need it...buy it now.
     
  3. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #3
    There is never a 'right" time to buy technology....if you need it/want it, buy it.

    Just be careful....I bought an iMac in the middle of January, followed by an Apple TV, followed by an Airport Extreme, followed by a MBA...soon to be followed by another Apple TV and the 3G iPhone when it comes out. This stuff is addictive! The quality of the engineering in Apple products is amazing.

    This all started for me with an iPhone on launch day before it moved into high gear in January. Was a PC guy since I moved from the original Apple II to a PC and then on to windows. Will never go back.
     
  4. macrumors 68040

    KingYaba

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2005
    Location:
    Up the irons
    #4
    Need a Macbook Air? :D I can't believe people are asking whether or not they should purchase the Air pending a revision in the future. If I were you, I would purchase a Macbook because of the durability factor alone. If your heart is set upon this machine then buy it now and if anything goes wrong take it to the Genius Bar.
     
  5. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    Location:
    Saitama, Japan
    #5
    BUY if you need to buy; WAIT if you can wait...

    Hi Adam,

    my advice would be ‘if you NEED to use it now then get one now’ otherwise ‘if you are patient and CAN WAIT, then you will naturally get a improved machine’.

    As for me, I have chosen to wait as, luckily, I already have a Mac that I can use in the meantime. The Macbook Pros will be out soon way before the next MBA model, so it is worth waiting to see what they are like to be able to make comparisons and find the best value for you. There is also an article I would recommend if you do decide to wait for the MBA. (Seth Weintraub’s article: ‘MacBook Air recommendation: 10 reasons to wait’.) Here is the link:

    link: http://blogs.computerworld.com/macbo...#comment-81903

    I also have a thread for discussion about the next MBA version. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=426231
     
  6. macrumors 6502

    deniser

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    Location:
    Cornwall, England
    #6
    I couldn't agree more. I switched last August. I bought a Mac Mini off ebay. In September I bought an iMac, then the iPhone, now I am having delivered today a MacBook and ACD. Next I want to get the 1TB time capsule and then when movie rentals come to the UK on iTunes I will buy the Apple tv. Not to mention the software and accesories I have bought.
     
  7. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    #7
    I would just buy. The product is brand new now and a second gen product with some big additions is probably a year away or so.
     

Share This Page