Should I buy Quicken 2005?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DavidLeblond, Sep 14, 2004.

1. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I currently have Quicken 2004 (came with my iBook). I was use to using MS Money for the PC (I'm a recent switcher) and I have to say the ONLY thing I miss about the PC was Money. I've never really liked Quicken. But since I really need the "download lastest transactions" feature, I use Quicken anyway.

I notice they have Quicken 2005 out now, and was wondering if anyone has upgraded from 2004 to 2005. I'm usually the kind of person who loves to have the current version of everything, but I'm not sure about paying $60 when all the advertised new features are worthless to me. I don't need integration with iPhoto (???) or an updated Tax planner. I want updates to the horrid interface!

Any ideas on whether I should update or wait for Quicken 2006?

2. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You and I were in the same boat. After switching last year, the only PC app I've had to keep around was MS Money. However, it was getting silly having a PC around to simply run one solitary application, so I bit the bullet and bought Quicken 2005 and sold the PC. After doing all of the painstaking conversions and using it for the past month, about the nicest thing I can say is that it's adequate. I didn't have a copy of Quicken 2004, but all I can say is I don't believe there are any compelling reasons at all to upgrade if you already have last year's version. There seem to be basically the same bugs and shortcomings in the 2005 version that I've read were in the 2004 version unfortunately.

3. gMac macrumors member

I still have Quicken 2003 that came on my iMac and got similar advice about upgrading to 2004. I agree with both of you that Quicken really SUCKS compared to Money, but at least I don't have to worry about Big Brother Bill snooping around my financial life (and I don't even consider myself a Microsoft hater.) Aside from being stuck with Quicken (and having pdf's download to my desktop when I click them) I don't miss my PC at all.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, I have Quicken 2002 and I've heard the same things about updating to 2003, 2004, *and* 2005. They don't fix any of the bugs, just add new "features" that no one needs. But hey, basically it does the job. I'm okay with it.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there is a PDF viewer plug-in for safari, i forget where i found it, hopefully someone else knows the link/place, check versiontracker.com for it though, it allows you to view PDF's in safari, much better than dling them to the desktop and then haveing them open in preview

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Boo!

Well I have Quicken 2000, it was on OS 9 and it was nice but I preferred MS Money. Last year I spent $60 for Quicken 2004 and it just seemed annoying. After a month I switched to MS Money using Virtual PC. I would prefer just doing it with Excel instead of using Quicken if I wanted to only use Mac OS X products.

Do you think Quicken 2006 will integrate with iTunes?
    :rolleyes:

7. DavidLeblond thread starter macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

They could have it where whenever I double click on an entry for "iTunes Music Store" it would open iTunes up to let me listen to the song I bought. Somewhere out there an Intuit employee is reading this and writing "New feature idea for Quicken 2006..." on a post-it.

Thanks all who responded, I kinda figured v2005 was a waste of time. MS needs to drop all this Longhorn BS and make MS Money for Mac!

8. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Hmm... I just recently purchased a PB and hadn't thought about MS Money yet. I agree, I like MS Money better than Quicken. The PB comes with Quickbooks though. I wonder if it's better than Quicken (I realize it's still made by Intuit). Anyone with any experience with Quickbooks?

9. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

quicken 2004 works fine for me...just use what works for you.

10. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I wish that MS would if for no other reason than that the competition from Money would force Intuit to work harder on Quicken in order to keep their Mac customers. Right now they're getting a free skate with their inferior Mac version due to the fact that they have no real competition and the only ones that suffer in the end are all of us Mac users. :(

11. Kyan macrumors newbie

Quicken 2005

Hi,
    I just left Quicken 2000 Windows for Mac v. 2004 and although I really don't have any problems, it really doesn't offer anything I couldn't do in 2000. FWIW, I know I won't upgrade.
    Kyan

12. Champale macrumors member

My thoughts

Having been a dedicated Quicken user for ages now, I generally skip every other upgrade.

I tend to find there's not enough reason to change unless you're just compulsive about blowing $60 on the latest and greatest software!

True, I'm tempted to upgrade myself because I also like having the latest versions. But Quicken 2004 has worked fine for me so far. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

13. Tryland macrumors newbie

Quicken for US iBook and UK E-Mac

Can I use the same version of Quicken on a US and UK Mac platform? Or will I have to purchase separate versions that will cost me tons of dollars and pounds? Quicken has an online download option; however, I'm not sure if the UK eMac will accept this version. Any good Mac financial package options -- I need somehting to track expenses, investments and bills.

Any UK/US counsel ASAP is greatly appreciated.

14. skyking9 macrumors newbie

I did upgrade!

i did upgrade, and, although I'm a big fan of Quicken, I think I wasted my money....nothing signifigantly better than 2004!

15. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Save Your Money

I have Quicken 2004. I've foolishly paid to updgrade numerous versions of Quicken over the past 5 or 6 years and found exactly what I've seen echoed here: they don't fix many bugs, instead, then just shovel more nearly useless features into their software year after year.

There are bugs in Q2004 that have been in there for at least 5 years.

Unless Q2005 has a particular feature you want or you're certain it fixes a bug that's particularly annoying to you, save your money and don't upgrade.