should i buy the edu or regular fcp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macapple, Jun 10, 2005.

1. macapple macrumors member

Should i buy the edu or the regular fcp coz i need to buy one of them?

2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

As far as I can tell, there is no difference between the two versions of the software, just that Apple is willing to sell the software cheaper if you are indeed in education. You don't specifically say whether you are a student or not, but if you are, go ahead and purchase the education version because you are entitled to it.

3. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I think the Edu. versions of softwear don't let you upgrade you would have to either 1) buy a new version that isn't acidemic so you can upgrade for a cheeper price or 2.) just keep on buying the edu versions of them which i think will be more exspensive in the long run. Im not possitive about this

sorry if that didnt make sense.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

The software is the same. If you are eligible, get the EDU.

5. macapple thread starter macrumors member

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

If you mean the education discount, there is no difference at all. You just buy this version cheaper. All things like upgrades and updates, etc. are the same price as full.

Basically, edu software is the same as regular software, just cheaper.

7. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

They both work exactly the same, but technically you're not allowed to use the Educational version to produce commercial work.

So you can't use it for something that makes money.

Not that anyone would be able to stop you if you did.

It's your call.

Also, you can't upgrade the educational version.

8. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

??? the EDU version is EXACTLY the same as the "regular" version. not to beat a dead horse, but if you qualify for the EDU version, there is no reason not to get it.

9. macapple thread starter macrumors member

but if i cant upgrade it their is no point! since i will regulartly upgrade it (every new version)

how about photoshop cs2 do they do edu

10. Poeben macrumors 6502

Check out Academic Superstore. They have some killer deals on software and some decent discounts on hardware too. Only catch is from what I hear you have to provide proof of eligibility, i.e. student schedule, photo student/teacher ID, paystub etc... but you're not trying to cheat are you. :eek:

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

academic software, all of it AFAIK, has a clause or whatever the term is in it that basically says you can't use it for a commercial purpose. like if you use academic FCP for a for-profit project you're in violation of the EULA. that's one of the reasons they can charge incredibly much less for it.