Should I buy the G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacandCheese, Jan 19, 2004.

1. MacandCheese macrumors newbie

I am ready to buy the dual 2 gigahertz G5er now. As in nanana now! However I am still not sure. I want to put the Final Cut Express 2 to work. The only problem is that the top end g5 has not had any price drops or updates. I am willing to wait until February, but not until summer. Should I make the kill?? Damn this thing is a beauty!! I wanna be this guy (Pictured)

Attached Files:

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You should read the rumors and look at the buying guide a little more closely.

There seems to be potential for a PM upgrade tomorrow or maybe next week. Possible top end machine would be a dual 2.6 GHz....

And maybe even a G5 iMac....

I'd wait a couple weeks and see what happens. It would be worth it.

D

3. MacandCheese thread starter macrumors newbie

Changes in the next week?

I dont really know what to make of the rumors for next week. How much can I really rely on them? In anycase, what are the chances of an 8x dvd burner? I havent seen any of that and it would definitely speed up the process of dvd authoring.

4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

The updates are either gonna be tomorrow, the 24th (unlikely, or the 27th. But there will be updates!!!!!!! (Or I will shoot myself):D

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

we allready have one guy that chewed off his hand, ( neatgecko) we dont need a shooting.:D

6. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Steve said they'd be at 3GHz by July 2004. I seriously doubt they'll keep the high end at 2GHz until then. This is the most obvious and logical time for an upgrade. Wait a couple of weeks, or you'll be kicking yourself very hard.

7. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Take the $3000 or so and put in in an Interest-generating savings account. Wait until you absolutely MUST have the machine. If you can wait until new machines debut - good for you!

I suspect that speed bumps will happen prior to 1 February.

8. MacandCheese thread starter macrumors newbie

Changes?

What kind of changes can we anticipate? New aluminum keyboard? New aluminum mouse? New aluminum displays?

9. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Or shooting yourself...:D

10. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

two more months

He said by the end of next summer, literally meaning the third week of September, 2004.