Should I buy the G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacandCheese, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. MacandCheese macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2003
    Location:
    Oregon
    #1
    I am ready to buy the dual 2 gigahertz G5er now. As in nanana now! However I am still not sure. I want to put the Final Cut Express 2 to work. The only problem is that the top end g5 has not had any price drops or updates. I am willing to wait until February, but not until summer. Should I make the kill?? Damn this thing is a beauty!! I wanna be this guy (Pictured)
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2001
    Location:
    VA
    #2
    You should read the rumors and look at the buying guide a little more closely.

    There seems to be potential for a PM upgrade tomorrow or maybe next week. Possible top end machine would be a dual 2.6 GHz....

    And maybe even a G5 iMac....

    I'd wait a couple weeks and see what happens. It would be worth it.

    D
     
  3. MacandCheese thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2003
    Location:
    Oregon
    #3
    Changes in the next week?

    I dont really know what to make of the rumors for next week. How much can I really rely on them? In anycase, what are the chances of an 8x dvd burner? I havent seen any of that and it would definitely speed up the process of dvd authoring.
     
  4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #4
    The updates are either gonna be tomorrow, the 24th (unlikely, or the 27th. But there will be updates!!!!!!! (Or I will shoot myself):D
     
  5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #5
    we allready have one guy that chewed off his hand, ( neatgecko) we dont need a shooting.:D
     
  6. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2002
    #6
    Steve said they'd be at 3GHz by July 2004. I seriously doubt they'll keep the high end at 2GHz until then. This is the most obvious and logical time for an upgrade. Wait a couple of weeks, or you'll be kicking yourself very hard.
     
  7. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2003
    Location:
    Western Hemisphere
    #7
    Take the $3000 or so and put in in an Interest-generating savings account. Wait until you absolutely MUST have the machine. If you can wait until new machines debut - good for you!

    I suspect that speed bumps will happen prior to 1 February.
     
  8. MacandCheese thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2003
    Location:
    Oregon
    #8
    Changes?

    What kind of changes can we anticipate? New aluminum keyboard? New aluminum mouse? New aluminum displays?
     
  9. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #9
    Or shooting yourself...:D
     
  10. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

    Rod Rod

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2003
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #10
    two more months

    He said by the end of next summer, literally meaning the third week of September, 2004.
     

Share This Page