Should I buy this 15" imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by waitingforG5, Nov 26, 2003.

1. waitingforG5 macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2003
    Hey guys I found a guy who is selling his 15" 1ghz iMac for $750. I Would really like to purchase this machine but the price seems really low to me. He said I could try it out before I buy. It also comes with 2 years of applecare. So what do you guys think? Is there anything in particular I should check out when using the system?
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    wow, that's a good deal...

ask about the screen (dead pix?) and the usage history. since he's got two years of applecare, it must be a legit product. (you need to submit the SN... so this product is not stolen.)

ask him why he's selling it and how he'd accept payments. is he local to you? where did you get the info from?

are the keyboards, mouse and speakers included?
  3. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    ok, there's something wrong. 1 GHz 15" iMac was released in Sept. that's only two months ago. either he's got a 17" 1GHz or a 15" 800 MHz (released in Feb.) or he's only had 15" 1 GHz for two months.

4. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2003
    Chucktown, SC
    Sounds super-sketchy.

For starters, the previous poster is correct - he's either wrong about screen size (doubtful) or he's saying he has had it longer than he has (and who would do that?), or he's wrong about the processor speed - which is a pretty big mistake when you're selling a computer.

Definitely check out the Serial # and call to get the scoop before you buy.

As is always the case with buying used stuff - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.