Should i buy this cube?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by plinkoman, Oct 2, 2003.

1. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

i've been looking for an upgraded cube to replace my pc, and i found this one.

1.2GHz sonnet upgrade card
    1.5GB ram
    120GB hd
    ati 7500 gpu
    soundsticks
    cdrw
    original mouse and keyboard
    and tons of software
    all for $1500

right now i have about half that and from selling my pc could make the other half, but that basically means i'll be broke, though i'm still in high school, so i don't really need the money....

should i go for it?

2. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

wow... that sounds almost too good to be true. But, if i were you, Id definitely snatch that up. Cubes are awesome machines.

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

dude, a cube with a GHz proc and more than a gig of RAM? totally beyond worth it. that thing is a work of beauty. a collector's item. don't pass up your chance.

4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

pretty sweet deal. just don't forget to keep your monitor if/when you sell the pc...

5. bcleland macrumors member

Sweet deal. Did you get it? If so what is Photoshop 10? Do they mean the os X version? or just a mistake?

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

who said anything about photoshop 10?

FYI, the latest version is PS8, better known as photoshop CS.

7. bcleland macrumors member

The ebay description said it included photoshop 10. I think it was a mistake. CS would be photoshop 8, right?

8. acj macrumors 6502

If you are into PCs you could build one for less money with a 3.2GHz P4, more ram, hard drive, better video, an 8x superdrive and a similar sized case.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

you also could get a 1.25imac or pro tower. I love the design of the cube but it does have a 100mhz bus and a slow vid card. dont do it- get a new mac tower if you have a monitor or an imac if you dont. faster drives,video,cpu,bus and memory.

10. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I say get it, and save up for a combo/SuperDrive to put in it. Panther is supposedly coming on DVDs, so it might be worth it. I don't know though - that's simply speculation. In any case, snatch that sucker up! :D:D:D

11. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

in other words, yes :)

12. tek macrumors regular

cubes are SO AMAZING!

get it if you can, even if its just for the looks/design of it.

i wish they still had them - i'd DEFINATELY get one.

why did they pull them? losing PM sales from it?

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

apple tried to market it between powermac and imac but moto's g4 didnt go anywhere so neither did the cube( held back because powermac was stuck at 500 so they ended up asking to much- the power pro user went powermac because of expansion pci slots, consumer's went for imac all in one. I was going to get one but they discontinued them before i could. poor poor marketing and moto's failure to progress those 2 years.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

sorrry for double post but i cant seem to edit, anyways just the fact that here we are talking cubes years later just goes to show that apple/moto really screwed up. Many of us still love the cube- who knows maybe a g5 cube one day if we are lucky.

15. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

Call me crazy but I think that would defeat the point. I could build a sweet linux box for $500, but what does that have to do with the topic?

fraeone

16. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

17. plinkoman thread starter macrumors 65816

plinkoman

why on earth would i want to do that?

anyone know how much of a bottleneck the 100mhz bus will be? i don't care about lack off ddr, i remember hearing something about it not really being supported in the first place. but will the bus really slow it down, or will the insane abount of ram compensate for it.

as for the vid card, it really, is not a concern, i never understood why people always make such a fuss over a video card having to be so big and bad, i fail to see any way outside of games and photoshop(neither of which i do) that a better video card would help.

18. tek macrumors regular

whether the bus is a limiting factor or not depends what you want to do on the machine

surfing/word processing/IMing etc. you will probably not notice the difference.

but if you're doing things like DV/Logic etc. where a lot of data is being processed, you WILL take a performance hit.

Saying that, my 700mhz iMac/100mhz bus is just fine, and i DO all of those :D

Faster than my 1.4 PC, which i'm hoping to ditch once i can afford a powerbook

19. plinkoman thread starter macrumors 65816

plinkoman

as of now it will be doing basic functions along with some music synthesizing, but by the time i'm in college and really need speed for that, i'll have a powerbook G5.

yea, so i think i'm gonna go for it, the only arguments against it are the bus and vid card, and the vid card i'm not really concerned with... but knowing me i'll put a 9000 in it at some later point, hell maybe even a 9600 if possible, i do after all plan on keeping this forever as at the very least a collectors item;)

the bus will do fine untill pb G5, and besides, aren't all non-G5 macs only at 133 anyway? cause 133 ain't much better.

woooo, can't wait till i get it :D