should I buy this G5?

Discussion in 'Community' started by wkw, Jan 13, 2005.

1. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

http://eugene.craigslist.org/ele/50725429.html

seems a bit too good to be true but I dont want to miss out if its legit. I emailed him several weeks ago and just today I started getting responses from him. we have emailed back and forth today. He claims to live in Astoria, NY. anyone from around there want to go check it out for me? :rolleyes:

I don't know, the fact that I am so suspicious is probably good enough reason for me to pass. He is asking about 1/2 of what he could get for it on ebay. He posted that on Nov. 30th and still hasn't sold it. I bet its a scam. He only wants to use paypal. What is paypal's buyer protection like? would I have any recourse with paypal if the guy rips me off?

He uses alot of exclamation points in his emails!!!

Anyway, I told him that I was pretty suspicious and he responded thusly:

It seems that I only encounter people who can't understand that I've moved and am not local anymore! what's the difference?? This is much better anyway! If we were to meet and you tested the mac for 30 mins, and said "OK! DEAL", that would mean that you paid for it,and that's that! NO REFUNDS!
    While now, if you test it for a 12 hours continuosly, you could get a much better opinion on it, and, in case you wouldn't like it, you could just return it, and get your money back!
    If you don't want it for $2000, give me $4000 for it! Would that make you feel safer??
    Considering that this was a fraud, if you don't receive anythinf after 3 days once the money are cleared, you can retract the payment, and paypal won't charge you anything! But come on! Lets be frank here: what safer method rather than paypal??

sorry about the long post

what do you guys think?

bill

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

How do you know he hasn't sold it yet?

He was probably too collecting money from all the other people he was selling it to, to contact you.

Now that he's run through all the money, it's time to sell the machine again.

1 PowerMac for $4000...

Sell it 2-10 times for 2000

Equals a nice profit.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

It's a scam - nobody sells $4000 worth of stuff for $2000. Nobody. Did you ask why he was selling it so cheap?

I like his "logic" about local sales being final, but if you order it to be shipped, he'd be happy to let you return it. Right.

Forget it.

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

If you have a doubt, don't risk all the money.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

e-mail him back and say your wife/brother will be in the Astoria area next week and you'd like to have them pick it up and pay cash

It's got all the telltale signs of a scam.

6. wkw thread starter macrumors 6502

wkw

yeah, I asked if a friend of mine local to him could come look at it.(I don't really know anyone but I am on several large forums like this and thought I might be able to get someone to go check it out.)

he said he wants to deal with my directly.
    basically the guy gets defensive when I start asking him personal questions like name and phone number.
    He did say he would call me tonight, that might be interesting.

At any rate, this deal stinks and I am going to pass for sure

bill

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'd keep messing with him just to mess with any conscience he has left.

Tell him you have good news and that you'll be in the area on business next week and will be able to come pick it up in person.

Just keep lying in turn and see how badly he twists his story to accomodate his scam.

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Tell him your cousin will be by tomorrow, that you wanted to let him know cause he is a cop and don't want him to get scared when he sees him at the door. ;)

9. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Astoria is not a nice place and if you are really sure and the prices is that good you can take a plane roundtrip, take a cab and visit him to check the computer out...

Hey, he lives in New York, for sure is an scam because I was living there and be sure too many people would look for that set up. A set up like that does not last an hour on the web.

For sure we is waiting for the first amount of fools to fall in to it.