Should I buy this RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by suneohair, Sep 20, 2006.

1. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I have the option of buying 2GB of RAM for the mac pro. I will probably be buying some different heatsinks from maxsinks as these have the little ones.

Anyhow, they are Micron sticks. The price would be $260. They are new and have a lifetime warranty

What do you think?

My alternative is to wait for prices to fall. I know this is a good deal, but I think I could deal with the stock 1GB for awhile.

2. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

They look to be the correct type of RAM suneohair, but that does not guarantee that they will work. Macs tend to be a bit finicky about what kind of RAM you use, so I find it best to go with RAM that is Apple certified (like RAM from www.datamem.com).

That said, $260 for 2GB of DDR2 FB is a very good deal. :)

4. trueheart78 macrumors member

My Apologies, forgot this was about a MacPro not a MacBook Pro - post removed.

5. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

THat doesnt help me. I have a Mac Pro. Not the same kind of memory.

I know the RAM will work with the Mac Pro, the whole finnicky thing I don't ascribe to. I have never had a problem on a Mac with any memory I have purchased. I think I will take the gamble on this. If it doesnt work it ill be going back to the seller.

6. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

I dont know now... I am going to want to put larger heatsinks on. Ones that are made for FBDIMMs.

Which will be around $100 for the two sticks. Effectively bringing my cost to about what it would cost elsewhere.

I could just not put the heatsinks on...but...

any thoughts on that?

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

If you go with this RAM, definitely use the heatsinks- you don't want fried RAM suneohair.

8. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Well they have heatsinks on them. They are just the dinky ones. I though it would be best to get ones similar to the Apple stock ones.

I know there are people here who havent had any problems with the Crucial and Kingston ones with the smaller heatsinks. So I figured I could get away with it as well.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that would be the best move as well. I for one would not want to gamble on having my RAM overheat (not at that price anyway). :eek: :)

10. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

if you can assure yourself that they will work without any problems, i say go for it. but as previously stated, Macs are very particular about what RAM they accept. the price is definitely right, though.